Shrimp ID question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

marsman_009
Egg
Egg

Shrimp ID question

Post by marsman_009 »

Please help me identify these things,are they shrimp or prawn,i have heard horror stories about the prawns
the big guy reflexes on the back of the tank really freak me out :(,please help
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp ID question

Post by Mustafa »

I have made a new thread for you since this question does not belong into the general FAQ posting that serves as a sticky. Plus, it's more visible this way.
In any case, the shrimp on your picture appears to be a Macrobrachium lanchesteri. You can search this forum and the internet in general for more information on that species.
marsman_009
Egg
Egg

Post by marsman_009 »

thank you mustafa^^,and OMG they eat fish ,can anyone tell me how to catch these guys?or......kill them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They won't eat your fish unless your fish are about to die (i.e. sick and weak) anyway...or they are babies. Why would you want to kill them? Purchasing an animal comes with responsibilities...I don't think killing them is one of them. At least bring them back to where you got them.
marsman_009
Egg
Egg

Post by marsman_009 »

oh so they won't eat healthy fish? thk u so much, they actually good and i gave them name :"JANITORS"(they make everything clean,even my moss)there's only 1 problem,the biggest shrimp chase the smaller ones is this normal?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

In general to keep some species from fighting or at least help the smaller ones plenty of hiding places is needed. This is especially true during molting.
Ken
marsman_009
Egg
Egg

Post by marsman_009 »

I think they're Indian whisker,new pics,they're much bigger now,spawn 1 time but no shrimplets :smt005