Adding Shrimp to my 10 gallon?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Elliriyanna
Egg
Egg

Adding Shrimp to my 10 gallon?

Post by Elliriyanna »

I have a Betta who currently shares his 5 gallon with a single mystery snail. However soon I will be upgrading them to a 10 gallon and I would like to add a few more inhabitants.

My Betta is very gentle he does not bother anything I have only ever even seen him flare once and that was at his thermometer. I know many say its Iffy to keep a betta in with shrimp but I keep him well fed :)

My question is with 2-3 mystery snails and a betta how many shrimp would you put in?

I have a moderately planted tank but I plan to add more and I have two hiding logs and driftwood :)
eightoeight
Egg
Egg

Re: Adding Shrimp to my 10 gallon?

Post by eightoeight »

I think it's up to you how many you would like to put in. I would put in none because I wouldn't want the Betta to eat them. If you aren't concerned with that, then maybe start with a few, see how it goes, and add more? I feel like 10 gallons could support a whole lot of shrimp though. If there are enough hiding places then maybe the shrimp would be somewhat safe.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Adding Shrimp to my 10 gallon?

Post by Mustafa »

A "gentle" Betta will still be hungry at some point. Unless your shrimp are too large to be swallowed, the Betta will most likely try to eat them. And even if they are too large to be swallowed, Bettas (and similar micropredatory fish) may try to take the shrimp apart piece by piece.