RCS saddled but won't berry

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Connellt07
Egg
Egg

RCS saddled but won't berry

Post by Connellt07 »

I am fairly new to the shrimp hobby. About a month and a half ago I purchased 30+ RCS from a breeder in my state. They all arrived beautiful and healthy and have remained that way since. Within days of putting them in the tank the biggest females became saddled, some yellow and some green. I can see that the eggs have matured somewhat as they are about halfway down there backs now and I can see the outline of the eggs. My only concern is they seem to have stopped and haven't made any progress to actually move the eggs to the underside of the tail. This has been over a month since they became saddled and I am wondering why it would be taking so long? I feed them 1/2 wafer of 37% protein shrimp wafer with calcium and spirulina every other day to ensure I don't over feed. They sworm the food but it still takes them a few hours to completely eat all of it. Any other time they are swimming all over the tank, digging in the gravel or on the plants eating the algae. I have two different "decors" for them to hide in, one moss ball and one amazon sword. No fish, just shrimp. They seem completely happy except for the fact that they will saddle but won't berry. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: RCS saddled but won't berry

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think a month and a half is nearly enough time to start getting worried about your shrimp not reproducing. :-D It may happen anytime, or it may happen within a few weeks, or few months. It all depends on your tank conditions. Plus, unbeknownst to you, your females may actually have started "carrying" eggs, but drop the eggs immediately due to all various possible adverse conditions. Having said that, two things come to mind after reading your post: 1. if it takes hours to eat the food, then that's too much food. It will cause the bacteria to bloom and decrease oxygen levels. 2. Do you perform about 20% water changes every week or two? Also, we would need to know more about your setup to figure out what's going on. Any driftwood? Any decaying plants?