Need recommendations for water test kits.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Need recommendations for water test kits.

Post by BostonJill »

There are so many out there but when it comes to the Super Shrimp tanks not sure which are best. Should I buy a kit for salt or fresh water? Strips or test tubes? What are the top water test to check for? Some come with so many things to test for.
Thank you!
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Need recommendations for water test kits.

Post by MelWong »

Test tubes are more accurate than strips by far. I just went and got the API master saltwater kit and it reads my brackish water fine.

- Mel
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I believe there are three basic water parameters to check. pH, ammonia and nitrites. This is for fish and shrimp. The strips are not that accurate. For the supershrimp the pH test may not be needed as the ocean salt mixes and topping off with RO or distilled water keeps the pH around 8. Also the pH stays steady if you use some type of carbonate sub base and hardscape. Shells, coral etc. The three tests should not cost more than $20 together. When buying pH test for the Opae look for the test for higher pH's 7.5 and higher. Once everything is stabilized there is little need to test. Only over feeding or water changes necessitate testing.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:Once everything is stabilized there is little need to test. Only over feeding or water changes necessitate testing.
--That reflects my experience as well. I probably have not tested a single Supershrimp tank in years. Occasionally, (once or twice a year) I was curious and tested pH, but it seems to always stay about the same. The *most* important test in the beginning is probably the ammonia test kit...but you can really do without any test kit if all the instructions here are followed. The solution to almost every problem that may occur (except sudden, mass shrimp death) is to do nothing (except waiting) anyway. Too much nitrite? Just wait it out...too much ammonia? Just wait it out...Shrimp hiding? Just wait... etc. etc...etc.

Sometimes I think that these shrimp are *too* maintenance free, so that people look for things to do until the breeding begins and larvae start floating around. :-D That may actually be a problem...maybe I can start marketing exercises that one can do while observing Supershrimp (Supershrimpobics) or breathing exercises while observing your Supershrimp (or while looking for them behind decoration while your tank matures). Any more ideas? That will keep people from changing something about the tank that may require some extensive fixing, which, in turn, may require even more fixing...and a year later there are still no larvae. :-D