Concerns

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Concerns

Post by LeShrimp »

I have noticed some white specks in my tank recently and I have seen a similar post but i don't know if we have the same problem. If anyone can tell me what this is and why I have it or if it is potentially harmful, PLEASE let me know. I noticed it on one of my lava rocks and in some nooks and crannies in other locations.
Here is a picture Image
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Concerns

Post by LeShrimp »

UPDATE - i have noticed one or two small white insect like creatures on the glass of my tank. They are not the white specks but they are much much smaller and visibly move around. Could these be copepods? Or is it a nasty parasite? I am getting more and more concerned for my tank :(
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

I cannot tell from the picture you have posted. I could share with others on my FB page to find out if the picture was clearer. As for the smaller "insects" there really is no telling, but if they are they may create competition for food sources. They also bread very quickly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Hmnm strange iread that copepods are actually beneficial..
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, the picture is quite blurry so it's hard to discern anything on it. However, judging from your description copepods fit the bill quite well. Copepods are completely harmless, so don't worry. Just leave them be and enjoy the tank. :D
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

Could you give us an update? I am fascinated and curious. Thanks.