Saddles / Berried

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Saddles / Berried

Post by LeShrimp »

Well I got my 50 Opae' Ula in January this year and they have been doing good I believe. No deaths, all seem to be a vibrant red color (except for maybe a one or two at a time). They have been saddled for MONTHS now and I am sure there must be a reason they will not release their eggs. I do not overfeed or underfeed them, I feed them spirulina pellets at least once a week. Has anyone had a similar problem?
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Saddles / Berried

Post by MelWong »

Mustafa might have better ideas, but maybe try cutting the feeding to once every two weeks instead of once a week? It's his timing recommendation, and I'm kind of a newbie myself, but I suspect that's the first bit of advice he'd give. Some folks also think that they might like a cranny to hide in when they lay their eggs, so if you haven't got hiding spaces for them in the tank that might be an additional reason, but I don't know.

My tank's still too new for the shrimpies to be berrying yet, but I am seeing the females saddle up.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I concur with Mel: If you're feeding "at least once a week", you're feeding too much, especially since you said that you're feeding spirulina pellets. Those pellets are usually pretty large. Plus, it's a myth that these shrimp need spirulina, nor is spirulina any better for them than just fish food pellets (spirulina may actually not be as nutritionally balanced..). Just cut down on the feeding and wait. She shrimp will only breed if the conditions are right. If you follow the instructions here to the t, your shrimp will breed eventually.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Mustafa wrote:I concur with Mel: If you're feeding "at least once a week", you're feeding too much, especially since you said that you're feeding spirulina pellets. Those pellets are usually pretty large. Plus, it's a myth that these shrimp need spirulina, nor is spirulina any better for them than just fish food pellets (spirulina may actually not be as nutritionally balanced..). Just cut down on the feeding and wait. She shrimp will only breed if the conditions are right. If you follow the instructions here to the t, your shrimp will breed eventually.
Well I just had the pellets lying around my house for my plecostomus so I just break off a little crumb for them and give it to them once a week. But thanks for the advice.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I see. As long as you only feed small pieces it'll be ok. I thought you were throwing in whole pellets.