White macroalgae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

White macroalgae

Post by attygirl »

The shrimp, macroalgae and snails have been in my tank for a little over a week. The 1.2 g tank had cycled for 3 weeks prior to the addition of the shrimp. I noticed that a few strands of the macroalgae have turned white or grey. Does this mean it is not getting enough light? Are these strands dead and thus should be removed? Do I need a stronger desk lamp?

Thank you for any help.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: White macroalgae

Post by Mustafa »

Any pictures? It's hard to say without having any information on your setup what's really going on. Some strands dying here is not all that unusual...
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

Thanks for the information about a few white strands not being unusual. I will keep watch and see if any more occurs. I do not have a great camera (or camera phone) so pictures might be difficult.

Also, my tank has been cycling for about 5 weeks with the desk light on for 13 hours a day. However, I see no signs of any algae growth, diatoms or otherwise. Should I be concerned? And, when I move the tank and put it in front of a window in direct sunlight, the shrimp become much more active.

Thank you.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you have *any* type of digital camera, even if it shoots crappy pictures, it would help immensely. Unfortunately, language is very limited in its descriptive capability. Just wait, the algae will come. Plus, you probably have biofilm growing in your tank already..it's just "invisible." As for the shrimp getting more active when you move them to direct sunlight....that's what these shrimp do when they get disturbed and stressed out. They swim in circles around the tank...sometimes for hours. Plus, direct sunlight could possibly "cook" these shrimp in such small volume tanks. I wouldn't do it. The best thing to do is to just sit back and let things happen. Don't worry too much about this and that. The beauty about these Supershrimp setups is that they really do not require you to do anything besides feeding every two weeks. That's it. Everything else will fall in place automatically. Just have patience. :)
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

Mustafa: Thanks for the information. I will no longer move the tank to the window and try to be patient! :-) I will also try to post a few photos. I fed the shrimp last week (after two weeks in the tank) and they quickly ate the food, so much so, that I am worried there is not enough naturally growing food. But, I will resist the temptation to feed again for another two weeks.

Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

attygirl wrote: But, I will resist the temptation to feed again for another two weeks.
Are you still resisting? :-D