Vampire shrimp vs RCS

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sk00ts
Egg
Egg

Vampire shrimp vs RCS

Post by sk00ts »

So I once had a thriving shrimp tank, with RCS, yellow shrimp, bumble bee shrimp and a couple of others. Including Vampire shrimp. All was good for a nice long while, then all my shrimp disappeared over about a 2 week period. No trace of them at all. Soon I was down to about 4 RCS and the 2 vampire shrimp. Bought 20 more RCS and about a month later pretty much all gone. I don't think the vampire shrimp ate them, my water parameters are good.

Anyways, bought an established tank from a guy. About a colony of 30 RCS or more. Nice berried ones. Now, should I introduce the Vampire shrimp into the new tank? or not risk it and leave them in the old tank? Also, should I transfer the one or 2 RCS that are left in the old tank?

Thanks in advance
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Vampire shrimp vs RCS

Post by Mustafa »

Vampire shrimp don't eat anything but floating particles and microscopic organisms. So, no danger in introducing them. Your tank just lost its cycle...that can happen easily in shrimp tanks.