Opae Ula losing color

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

t206
Egg
Egg

Opae Ula losing color

Post by t206 »

I have about 100 Opae Ula that I bought back in April. They have been molting but no berries yet. One thing I notice is some of them start losing their original bright red color. Are they malnutrient or something? I put them close to window that has direct sunlight and have healthy algea grow on the surface of those lava rocks on the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? I want them to have bright red color then pinky color.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae Ula losing color

Post by Mustafa »

If possible, post of the picture of your tank and the shrimp so we can figure out what's going on. Having said that, judging from the number of shrimp you bought, I'm assuming they were wild-caught. Wild-caught shrimp tend to come in with really bright red colors...maybe due to their natural diet. Most of them lose that coloration after a few months and look just like captive-bred shrimp. In other words, you will have some very bright red shrimp in your tank, but also some paler ones. The better they feel, they more red the shrimp will look overall.They don't get malnutritioned that easily. Just follow the instructions for feeding on this website and they will do just fine.