My success story

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: My success story

Post by Flippers »

Varanus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am
Flippers wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:31 pm Amazing!! I'm cycling my tank now... It has a few nano marimo balls (not from this site) and Java Fern. Would you suggest removing it? If I remove it, should I just start over? I have a little bit of treated tap, too... Should I dump it and just do R/O?
I'd say remove the plants but keep the water and wait for it to cycle. No need for unnecessary work.
Plants are removed!! Thank you.
kyle0901
Larva
Larva

Post by kyle0901 »

Hi, so happy for you, I wish my shrimps be like yours too. May I know what algae it is that you mentioned slowly covers the substrate? I am looking for something that grows like this for a long time, all I can find are algaes that live only in fresh water, thank you so much! If possible can you show us a few photos of your tank?
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

kyle0901 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:11 am Hi, so happy for you, I wish my shrimps be like yours too. May I know what algae it is that you mentioned slowly covers the substrate? I am looking for something that grows like this for a long time, all I can find are algaes that live only in fresh water, thank you so much! If possible can you show us a few photos of your tank?
I think that he uses Mustfasa's macroalga https://www.petshrimp.com/product/super ... acroalgae/, which is a special kind of chaetomorpha (maybe chaetomorpha linum)
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

I had a macro ball, but it slowly dwindled. I removed it. The algae now covering the substrate is just what has grown naturally. I did not plant it.
Last count of 13 berried females.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

The first of the larvae showed up this morning. 4 little down-hanging heads.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

A couple of months ago I mentioned a cloudiness in the tank, presumably from an algae/bacteria bloom. It has persisted until now, becoming somewhat less as time goes on.
A couple of days ago I noticed an interesting change. The top half of the tank is clear, the bottom half is cloudy. See pic. The shrimp are still not bothered by whatever it is. I have done nothing to determine what the cloudiness is, or to 'fix' it.
There are about 30 larvae with several still-berried females.
Happy 4th of July to all.
Brad
Edit: I don't know why the pics are upside down in the post, but open correctly--sorry about that.
Attachments
20180702_183950.jpg
20180702_183916.jpg
skylorvivo88
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by skylorvivo88 »

Wow that’s interesting. Maybe it’s clearing bottom to top?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update Brad! It's fascinating to see how your tank still changes over time. I'm wondering what may have caused the bacterial bloom...you haven't added anything to the tank in years! Is it still there? In any case, the shrimp will eat the dead bacteria once they settle on the ground after the water clears up.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Yes, the bacterial bloom is still visible, but decreasing. Good to know the shrimp will consume the dead bacteria.
Reproduction has slowed. At the peak there were a dozen or so berried shrimp, but now only two or three. Almost all larvae are now free-swimming.
Hope everyone is having a great summer!
Brad
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

No berried shrimp in the tank, that I can see. Perhaps the breeding season is done for the year. I had a total of about 15 females bear this spring. All larvae are now swimming around.
The bacterial cloudiness is still visible, but continues to lessen.
I estimate there are between 400 and 500 shrimp at this time. The algae does not seem to be decreasing on the substrate. No algae currently on the tank sides. The shrimp seem happy and content, but don't accomplish much during their days.
Hope everyone has fun plans for Labor Day.
Brad
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

tooth wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 am The shrimp seem happy and content, but don't accomplish much during their days.
What do you expect them to accomplish? Build a house? Start a business? Finish college? :-D ;-)

Joking aside, I'm still amazed that after almost 5.5 years of no additional feeding you have algae growing on your substrate and the shrimp are reproducing like crazy. Give it some time, you may still have a few "late larvae" this year. Thanks for the update!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

I'll keep watching for late arrivals. The algae does not diminish or wane--just keeps the substrate covered. For a while I thought I was seeing lots of shrimp poop sinking to the bottom, but on close examination discovered that some of the shrimp like to tear off a chunk of algae and carry it with them up the sides of the tank to eat it there. Some pieces fall out of their grip and sink back to the bottom.
Sorry for the lagging reply. I've been busy having a kidney stone the last month. (Finally got it out after 2 surgeries--misery.)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oh wow....no problem at all! Hope you feel better soon!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

OK Time for a quick update. I think I figured out the algae/bacterial bloom. And I believe it is algal. Several months ago I switched to LED lights in the tank hood. I put in all three rows of lights. I had the thought that maybe it is too much, so I put the old hood back on, with one HD fluorescent bulb in it.
The water seems to be going back to clear. I'll take out one LED strip and see what happens.
On another note, I have a berried female as of yesterday.
This is the first time I've had reproduction in the winter months.
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

They normally do not reproduce in winter? Because of temperature? What is your temperature now?