My success story

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: My success story

Post by Mustafa »

You have no idea how much I love your little "diary/blog" here. :) Keep 'em coming!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

A berried female showed up today. I thought they'd take a break from breeding after the 2 month frenzy. This female is a little differently colored--almost a purple-red. I don't remember that she has bred before this.
All the new-hatched shrimp are now benthic. The tank looks a little bare without all the down-hanging heads in the middle of it.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

I noticed a second berried female today. It appears they are not taking a break after all.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update again! :) It would be great if you could catch one of the baby shrimp on camera one of these days.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

This pic shows several different shrimp sizes. A couple of babies are at the top. Again, a poor quality pic from a phone, sorry.
Attachments
shrimp july.jpg
shrimp july.jpg (310.06 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

you must be ticking all the right box's as your tank seems to be thriving! great blog :)
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Thanks Mech. If I had a decent camera you could see the little smiling faces on the shrimp, I'm sure. Really, though, it is just as Mustafa says--no muss, no fuss, minimal requirements. These shrimp are tough little guys.
BTW, still no food added since start-up--2 years, 4 months.
Brad
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice job Brad. You are a true success story. You have avoided all the traps that most of us fall into.

Ken
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Hi Ken,
I owe it all to my innate superabundance of laziness. Effort=Pitfalls
Brad
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Here is a pic of the banded female. She has carried 4 times now. The last time was just a couple of months ago. Please ignore the reflections.
Attachments
Banded shrimp.jpg
Banded shrimp.jpg (116.85 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

That's awesome! More babieees! :-D
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

Sheesh. Another berried female showed up this morning, for a total of 3 currently carrying. They don't want to slow down, apparently.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

That's great news! I'm very jealous :)
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

The first 2 females to berry have now released their larvae. Looks like 30 or so for the both of them. It took about 4 days for all larvae to leave the moms.
Another berried female showed up this week, so I'm back to 2 berried females, about 2 weeks apart.
I get such a kick watching the larvae. They rise up and down the water column all day, maybe drifting sideways a little, but if one touches another it's like popcorn exploding. They zip apart, traveling many multiples of their body lengths in a fraction of a second. Wish I could move that fast.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

A pic of a few of the new arrivals. Sharp eyes will notice the sheet of algae on the back of my tank has finally detached and fallen. I scraped the front 18 months ago--didn't grow back. The sides never grew so much as to be a problem.
Attachments
20150816_133318_resized.jpg
20150816_133318_resized.jpg (340.2 KiB) Viewed 5740 times