I am watching one of my girls lay eggs right now!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: I am watching one of my girls lay eggs right now!

Post by MelWong »

Update: She is fully berried now, but also hiding in one of the crevices so I can't get a good egg count. I'll get one up sooner or later when she swims out to graze.

EDIT: A quick count while she was out in the light gives me an estimate of about 9 to 11 eggs. We shall see if she successfully broods them all to hatching.
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

And yet another update: another saddled female, freshly molted, is now standing around with her swimmer legs hanging down like the other two did before they laid eggs. I suspect she's going to lay soon. I'll give an estimate of egg count if she's obliging enough to do so where I can see her.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! So, the other female still has her eggs?
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Yeah, she does. I did a count this morning and she has all 11 of them, which is good. The first female to lay, she's started saddling again. I think if all goes well I may have more shrimp in this tank next year than I did this one.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Great! Told you the females need some "experience" before they stop dropping their eggs. :)
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Well, an update: the berried shrimp with 11 eggs now has 7 left, but she's otherwise fine. There's another berried shrimp but I can't count her eggs as she's being rather reclusive right now. I'll get an egg count once she gets cooperative during the fortnightly feedings.