Tank shapes & decorations

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Heather
Egg
Egg

Tank shapes & decorations

Post by Heather »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I came across Petshrimp.com by accident about a week ago and I've been hooked ever since. I would like to start my own Supershrimp world but I am still in the research phase.

First I would just like to thank Mustafa for this website. I am amazed by the depth of his knowledge and his dedication to his creatures. He is the perfect aquatic ambassador!

I am also impressed by the posters on the SS forum. They are so patient and helpful with everyone. Thank you for making a first-time poster feel relaxed.

On to my main questions -

1) I was doing a search for mini aquariums and came across this lady's creations on Etsy. They are very small glass spheres with an open area on top, and you can get up to 3 of them interconnected with each other thru glass tubes.

The main question - I know the setup page says that any glass container will do, but

Is there such a thing as a container being too small?

2) Re: decorations and possible calcium/buffer sources - would animal bones and/or teeth (old, dry and clean of course!) work in a tank?

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
Heather
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Tank shapes & decorations

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum! What's the volume of these containers? Just for practical reasons I would not go below half a gallon. Otherwise you'll end up with with half the tank volume after only a few weeks of evaporation. Plus...if containers get too small, you may not get any breeding. My smallest tank for these guys was 2 1/2 gallons. I bred hundreds of them in that tank.

As for bones and teeth...bones *may* release too much phosphate into the water, which may cause all kinds of problems. As for teeth...no clue, never tried it. Keep us up to date with your project. :)
Heather
Egg
Egg

Post by Heather »

Hello Mustafa,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Regarding the container size - the one I'm thinking of specifically is 3 spheres of blown glass with glass tunnels connecting them one to one to one (no seams). Each globe has an opening at its top.

The specific volumes for the globes are not given, but the dimensions for the setup are 3.5" high and 11" wide. I'm not good at estimating volumes, but it seems like less than 1 gal for a 3-sphere setup.

I guess I was hoping that I could keep just 10 or 20 little guys in the spheres, and add globes or aquariums if they ever reproduce.

Thank you again for your help. I will probably look for a different aquarium; I want to keep the little guys happy.

:smt006
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome! Whatever you do, keep us updated. :)
Heather
Egg
Egg

Post by Heather »

Hello to Everyone!

I have been coming to this site for a few months now, and I'm finally comfortable enough to purchase the first live organisms for my aquarium, so...
I just went to the Petshrimp store and bought the algae and brackish snails! :smt005

I have read 98% of the Supershrimp posts up to now and my favorites are the ones where people keep a kind of Supershrimp "journal" --
For example: "Day 1 - my tank has 1.012 salinity and ..."; "Day 15 - my snails arrived ...."; "Day 31 - just added the shrimp to the tank...." and so on.

I plan to post a photo of my tank and all relevant details within the week; my hope is to begin a journal of my own- the more info out there from the supershrimp owners, the better, right? :D

The current status -
My tank (purchased specifically for the SS) has been sitting for over three weeks; it is within the right salinity parameters but it's waaay too clean...
I'm hoping the new arrivals will aid the algae-growing process.

I look forward to reading more posts and updates from fellow SS lovers.

Wish me luck!
Heather :smt006
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the update! A journal is a great idea; I enjoy those very much, too! Your snails and macroalgae should arrive tomorrow, so your new adventure is set to start. :) I'm hoping to finally advertise these awesome animals to the general public as, so far, only people randomly finding this site, or just generally looking for information about the "ecosspheres" that they purchased, ended up getting interested in actually establishing proper tanks for them. And most of those have been people who were already in the aquarium hobby one way or another. That way more people will find their way to this forum and share experiences.