Opae Ula Freshwater Life Span

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JulesV
Egg
Egg

Opae Ula Freshwater Life Span

Post by JulesV »

I know these shrimp live in brackish water, but don't want an extra tank just to house them.

I know they can survive in fresh water, but for how long?

What is they life span of these shrimps if kept only in fresh water?
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Opae Ula Freshwater Life Span

Post by shrimpy4 »

This is like asking how long a person lives without oxygen. It's sick frankly, they won't 'live' so much as survive for a time. If it's not worth the effort for you to give them a proper living space, give them to someone who does.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae Ula Freshwater Life Span

Post by Mustafa »

They never seem to occur in just freshwater in nature. They always seem to have some access to saltier water (e.g. almost freshwater (e.g from rain) sitting on top of heavier, saltier water). They can take low salinity brackish water, but I would not recommend keeping them in freshwater. These shrimp can live up to 20+ years, it's just not worth it to try to experiment with them. I kept them in freshwater (gradually lowered salinity) for just a few days and they looked and acted stressed.

Since you have to prepare your brackish water only once (and really never again as there are no water changes) and there are already so many freshwater shrimp species out there, what's the point of keeping these shrimp in freshwater?