new opae ula envioment help

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

narutoonepiece95123
Egg
Egg

new opae ula envioment help

Post by narutoonepiece95123 »

Hi

Hi every one,

I recently got some opae ula from a ecosphere and was wondering why they only die in 2-3 years. Till I found this site and was sad to hear they they only lived that long cause of lack of food and space. I wanted to get your options on my new environment talk for them. I have 5 opae ula and they are content in there little bottle.
I just brought a 1.6 gallon tank from walmart ,And some lava rocks for the ground from amazon
and some distill water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystal Sea Salt Marine Mix.

I would like to know if all of these are good for the opae ula ?
I like to post the links for the items but I am unable to cause of form regulations. I am willing to send a private message withy the links.

Also I would like to know us it ok to put in moss balls I. The tank with the macoalge ?!

Thank you
Brian
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: new opae ula envioment help

Post by Mustafa »

It all sounds good. If you exactly followed the setup information given on this website it should not matter what brand reef salt or what type of aquarium you use.
narutoonepiece95123
Egg
Egg

Post by narutoonepiece95123 »

Ok, thank you Mustafa for your advice. I found out that if I took off the top of the tank to expose it to light they start to move is it because they think it is too cold to move even in room temp. Or is it because they need natural lighting?

My set up is in my desk at home with the blinds close at all times. How ever when I open the blinds the room is always shaded by a canopy. Should I induce more light through the lamp at my desk or just open the blinds more often? Your advice is much appreciated.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Please refer to my reply to your other post. The shrimp are only moving around because you are freaking them out. Shrimp swimming around frantically is not a good thing. As I said already, just leave them alone and wait. They will run around and pick at things and be constantly active when the tank is ready. In the meantime, do lots of research, so you know what steps to take in the future to make sure your shrimp do well.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

The moss balls yes but make sure you water down the salt water to makebit brackish