Crayfish Id~

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

neloboy
Egg
Egg

Crayfish Id~

Post by neloboy »

Hi, I have recently gotten a crayfish, and was hoping if anyone can tell me what species is it~?
DSCN1039.JPG
DSCN1039.JPG (200.49 KiB) Viewed 7845 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Crayfish Id~

Post by Mustafa »

Cherax quadricarinatus. It looks like it's a female (unless it's a male which lost both of its claws and it's regrowing them).
neloboy
Egg
Egg

Post by neloboy »

Hi! Thanks for the id! Guess what!! Just 30 mins ltr after i posted the previous post with the photo i took, my cray moulted!
But theres smt thats worrying me. Because its the first time im seeing a cray go through moulting( and it looked successful!), my cry seemed to be exceptionally "lazy". It keeps hiding in its hiding spot and lying on its sides, sometimes even on its back, with it legs wiggling.. Any reason why?
Btw, Mustafa: I also think that its a female~ the claws seems a little small for a male!~
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If your crayfish is still lying on its side or its back, that's not a good sign at all. That means that molt was not really successful, or your cray had prior problems already and the molt just made it weaker. It's normal for crayfish to hide and be inactive for a day or two after a molt...but they don't usually lie on their sides or backs for too long (they can end up in that position in the first few minutes after they molt, though). Just watch your crayfish, but there is really nothing you can do if it continues behaving weird.