There I was taking a last look at my 55 for the night.....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

There I was taking a last look at my 55 for the night.....

Post by Piscesgirl »

(this tank I run the lights at night to give ME a 'nightlight' and to have different maintenance schedules for each tank), anyway...I had just put the big light fixture on (I use little undercabinet strips to feed and do water changes because the big fixture covers the entire top, and it is heavy).......everything looks ok I think...then...a flash of red/orange...what's that?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

a shrimp!!!!! What's a shrimp doing in my community tank with three clown loaches and five Botia Sidthimunki????? I quickly take the big fixture back off, put the strip lights back on, grab a net and scoop out said shrimp and toss him in the shrimp tank....

whew....

Put the big fixture BACK on the tank....take another look at the tank...

what's that???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Another shrimp!!!!!

Take the big fixture back off, put the strip lights back on, grab the net, scoop out second shrimp.

Look around to make sure there are no more shrimpies in there...

Whew..put big fixture back on tank.

Sit down and take a deep breath...

*they must have 'moved over' when I transfered some plants the night before from my shrimp tank to the 55, but I try to shake the plants really well before removing from the tank. I guess I'm going to have to be more careful next time. Shrimp tend to "grab" on to things -- and that's why it is good to add plants to the bag if you are transporting them anywhere*
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

HAHA yer luky yer shrimp didnt get eaten by the bigger fishess
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Yes, me and those shrimp are pretty lucky. My Botia Sidthimunki are still pretty small, but the clowns are big. Luckily, the clowns think I'm an evil monster so if I'm anywhere around, they will hide. If I sit on the floor about ten feet from the tank, they'll come out, but no closer than that.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This kind of thing can happen more often than you think. The interesting thing is that shrimp cling on to the plants (or anything else they were sitting on) even if you pull them out of the water. If you just catch them straight with the net, they will jump around...but not when they are clinging to a plant. So, it's really easy to introduce them into different tanks that way.

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Interesting Mustafa! Next time I'll just move a plant and forget the net!