What's the shrimp on your home page?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MarkyMark
Egg
Egg

What's the shrimp on your home page?

Post by MarkyMark »

It's beautiful. Can't seem to match it up to any of the species on the Varieties page.

Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by MarkyMark on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkyMark
Egg
Egg

Re: What's the shrimp on your home page?

Post by MarkyMark »

(Apologies for the typos - posted too quickly and couldn't find a way to edit the post later!)

Mark
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Mark!

That shrimp is a color variation of the Crystal Red shrimp, which you can read about in the "Shrimp Varieties" section. I will hopefully be gettin in some of the those in the next couple of months and start breeding them. Apparently, they are not available for purchase anywhere in the US at this point. I'm not sure if they have them in the UK, but there are tons of people in Germany that have these shrimp.

Mustafa

PS: Now you can edit your posts, I added that function.
MarkyMark
Egg
Egg

Thanks

Post by MarkyMark »

Have corrected both typos!

It's a lovely shrimp. I saw a few today in a shop, but they only had three and they were only about 1cm long - as I've currently got someone's 6cm goldfish in my planted tank (grr) I had to resist. (Although he doesn't hassle the Amano shrimps, but they're all 3 cm or more.)

I'll definitely try some Crystal Red shrimp when I've evicted the goldfish.

Good luck with the site and the discussion board! Keep us up to date with any breeding/rearing projects.

Thanks,

Mark
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Mark!

Yes, the crystal reds are great! Once the goldfish is gone you should get some. The amanos won't bother them either. If you can, try to get 10-12, so you can almost be sure that you have some males and females in there. That way they'll just reproduce in your tank and you'll have years of fun with them.

Yes, I'll keep you guys up to date with my projects here. :). You can expect to see some more articles, soon.

By the way, for how much was your fish store selling the Crystal Reds?

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I believe Azgardens.com has Crystal Reds. I have some but I'm not selling! :P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp that AZgardens calls "Crystal Reds" are NOT Crystal Reds. Those shrimp on their website are a completely different species altogether, which are Caridina serratirostris. More about that shrimp here:

http://www.petshrimp.com/serratirostris.html

The real Crystal Red is not even closely related to that one. They also claim that the shrimp is from South America, which is bogus. They are from Japan.

AZgardens has a lot of wrong information on their website, but I do not blame that for that since almost nobody knows much about shrimp here in the US. They should at least change that info, though, since it's totally wrong. Almost all "Shrimp Guides" on the Web in English have totally wrong information. Obviously, not much research went into those "Shrimp Guides".

If you got your shrimp from AZgardens, then they are definitely not the real Crystal Reds you see on my website.

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

and

These are my shrimp. No, I didn't get them from Azgardens. In the first picture with the sweet potato (they LOVE sweet potato, but don't care for spinach contrary to other reports I've read), the big one is my Crystal Red Bee shrimp and the other ones are Cherry Shrimp.

Please correct me if they are not Crystal Red Bee Shrimp,although they appear to be and thats what I was told they were when I purchased them through a local fishclub workshop and auction from the gentlemen that bred them.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Plus, the link you gave me says the Ninja shrimp need brackish water to breed, but I have freshwater and they breed quite prolifically. In fact, I purchased them on March 1st, and I probably have at least 50 by now, if not more. They seem to be out producing my Cherry shrimp (the cherries in the sweet potato picture, by the way, are juveniles)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok...the ones in the pictures that you posted are definitely Red Crystal shrimp. Their species name has not been determined yet, but they are from the Caridina serrata "species group." Their Larvae do NOT need brakisch water to survive and hatch as "mini-shrimp."

However, the "Ninja Shrimp" (the link I posted) are a completely different species and their larvae (which are by the way tiny and free floating) need brackish water to survive.

AZgardens is *incorrectly* using "Red Crystal" shrimp as the name for the "Ninja Shrimp" (Caridina serratirostris). That is what you are confused about. So big misunderstanding there... They are also saying that the shrimp are from South America, which is total bogus....those particular ones are from Japan and they occur elsewhere in Asia, too.

Your Red Crystals are very nice by the way.. :smt045

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

By the way, where do you live and who is this gentleman? If you don't mind, I'd like to know.

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl wrote:
Please correct me if they are not Crystal Red Bee Shrimp,although they appear to be and thats what I was told they were when I purchased them through a local fishclub workshop and auction from the gentlemen that bred them.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I live in Henderson, North Carolina -- a very rural place. Too rural. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I purchased them at the Raleigh, NC annual workshop auction for the Raleigh Aquarium Society. I don't usually go to meetings because I'm an hour and a half away --but I went to one meeting and the annual auction where I purchased the shrimp. I don't 'know' the guy too well -- just that he is in the club and he bred them and auctioned them. In fact, I had purchased at that time several adults and several babies (only about 2 mm so they had to be really young babies) totalling 8 at that auction). I did not ask him where he originally got them from, but he's the one that told me they like sweet potato.

Thanks for the compliment :) If you were closer, I'd offer you some but I am loathe to ship them. They are, in fact, my 'babies.'
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the offer. :D However, I am getting a batch of these shrimp at the end of this month/beginning of next month and will start breeding them, too.

I am building up quite a collection of shrimp here....I just love these animals!

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Well -- I'm sure you will love them! I agree -- I've really found myself enjoying my shrimp. I've been late for work multiple times because I like to sit and watch them eat and move about. Since there are no fish in the tank, they are very 'out and about' and very active.

I'm actually interested in your Sri Lanka shrimp. They don't look all that beautiful, but your write up on them made them very intriguing! If you end up breeding enough to sell, and you find they ship well -- I would defintitely be interested in obtaining some.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, I do the same. I just sit there and observe them graze the algae carpets in my tank (I actually try to promote the growth of algae because of my shrimp!!).

I'll definitely let you know when the Sri Lanka shrimp start breeding. I have not been able to observe any gravid females yet, but I've only had these shrimp for a couple of weeks.

All shrimp shoulud ship well, as long as they are packaged properly and have something to cling on in their bags, so I don't see a problem there.

I'll post the shrimp on my website when they are available.

Take care,
Mustafa