What i wrong with my tank ?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

stonefox
Larva
Larva

What i wrong with my tank ?

Post by stonefox »

I have attached 2 pictures, both of which are with OpaeUla shrimps.

Aquarium 1: is 3.8 gallons and has a foam filter as well as lava stone. In this Aquarium there is always shrimp I can see and they are very nice red.

In Aquarium 2 : which is on the 11 gallon I have 100 OpaeUla, but I can only se 5-10 at the same time the rest are hiding. In this Aquarium, there is also a foam filter and lava rock, and in both Aquariums are salt value 1,010

What's wrong with Aquarium 2?

I've tried to change water without it helped.

http://gupl.dk/706021/

http://gupl.dk/706022/
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: What i wrong with my tank ?

Post by KenCotigirl »

Both tanks look nice. This site does not recommend filters or heaters. They are not causing problems. The moss ball in tank 2 may not survive, and could cause some future problems. How long have the tanks been up and running? I have lava in my tank and find you only see about half the shrimp at any one time. You can check for ammonia. What type of algae is in there?
stonefox
Larva
Larva

Post by stonefox »

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have checked for maoniak and there is nothing. I do not understand your question with the algae. I do not know what type of algae in the Aquarium, they are the ones who come by themselves using the light. You may like to deepen it further since I'd like to know what I am doing wrong.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

How long have you had the shrimp? If you only had them a short time nothing is wrong. Often new shrimp hide. Ammonia at zero is good. You could check nitrites. They should be zero. Do not change water unless readings are high. Lots of changes can cause more problems. If the shrimp are new do not feed. Wait and be patient. If you see dead shrimp then there may be problem.

The moss ball next to the filter in tank 2 may not survive in brackish water.
stonefox
Larva
Larva

Post by stonefox »

Thanks for your reply. I've had them for 1 month, but I have not seen some dead. If there is a dead shrimp will lie between all my lava.

How should the Ph-Kh and Gh be and must be something in the Aquarium to add more lime in the water?

Nitrit = "0"
Ph = "8.2"

What about the light of akvariethar the influence?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

How long was the tank setup before you added shrimp? If the tank was not fully cycled the shrimp often hide as they are stressed. They also just may wish to hide. Everything seems fine. Leave things alone for a while. Remember change causes more problems.

As recommended on this site add some broken coral, this will help keep the pH stable. Basically if it is safe for salt water tanks it will be safe for supershrimp.