Grey sand shrimp, master of camouflage

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

alexvpaq
Egg
Egg

Grey sand shrimp, master of camouflage

Post by alexvpaq »

Thought I'd share these pictures I took a year ago, I live just by the St-Lawrence river in Quebec. As a child we used to pick up all the time what we called ''Écrevisses'' (or crayfish in english) but truth is we were wrong all this time, they actually were gammarus* (*though that's not essentially confirmed, I'm not a scientist with expertise in this subject but they look very similar), most of the time they were dark and just looking for a hiding spot during the low tides.

http://www.rsba.ca/recherche_espece/fic ... =45&lan=en

However last year, for the first time in my life (I'm 24 at the moment btw),I had never seen a real shrimp there! But I sort of understand now. The shrimps hiding there are amazingly well adapted and very cool to look at, I found them while looking at those gammarus, These shrimps were very, very interesting for the short time I was as the beach.

http://www.rsba.ca/recherche_espece/fic ... =80&lan=en this shrimp seems to carry many different names but the scientific name for them is : Crangon septemspinosa

Link to my online folder : https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

I'll just do a quick note here for the pictures in case some aren't obvious or clear enough, you will quickly find out why. Found it easier to just tell where on a round clock where they are. You can also zoom if you want.

Picture #2 : on the right side of the first shrimp from the left you can see a baby shrimp
Picture #4 : another baby on the top right
picture #5 : There ya go, in their natural habitat. No wonder I had never seen them before. Look at the small white shell in the center, go halfway at 3 O,clock there is one very well camouflaged shrimp.
picture #6 : At about the same place as in picture 5. Yup, that's a shrimp. It's hard to tell, I know.
picture #7 : in between the two water glare or change of coloration you can see one (top right) on this same picture you can see a gammarus* swimming at 5 o 'clock with it's shadow underneath. There may be more shrimp in that picture but I can't find them anymore.
picture #8-9 : natural habitat, no shrimp in those pictures. I think.
picture #17-18 : A lot of smaller/baby shrimps by the black rock! (upper half) With glare and my girlfriend's forehead reflection.
picture #19 : I released them all afterward, I had no clue how to care for them or if they were endangered so I thought it was the wisest thing to do. two shrimps one at 3 or 4 o'clock and the other one at 9. They are fairly easy to see.
picture #20 : Gammarus at 5 and shrimp at 11.
picture #21 : this one should be easier :wink: at 3 again.
picture #22 : this one is hard, at 4 or 5, it simply look like sand, you can spot it by the outline. At first it actually looks like a dark branch or something.
picture #23 : Thoughest one yet IMHO. at 4 or 5 o'clock again, it was carefully hidden in the sand. Very hard to see also, I only had my cellphone to take these pictures so I couldn't get a better focus. (still It ain't too shabby for a cellphone camera)

So, like I said, I released them all afterward, I absolutely had no clue how to care for them or if they were endangered. Or had a cycled saltwater/brackish tank.
However If there is any guide on how to care for those shrimps, I may go and catch some next year spring/summer... if I find them. Who knows, right?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Grey sand shrimp, master of camouflage

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pictures! Crangon spp. live up and down the east coast of North America. It's just that they are very secretive as they are close to the bottom of the food chain. Again, Thanks! If you decide to keep them in the future, please let us know.