Signs of unhealthly shrimp upon purchase

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ProdiGium
Egg
Egg

Signs of unhealthly shrimp upon purchase

Post by ProdiGium »

Hi there,

I've a planted tank that has been cycled long ago and has about 8 neon tetras that are healthily swimming around.
They are given food with no copper as I've always planned to get shrimp.
I use no fertilizer for the plants.
I use Seachem for water changes.

I purchase 10 shrimp off a girl yesterday. Her small tank was overrun and all the 'cherry' shrimp were clear - even the adults. Apparently the filter had also stopped for a week a couple of days prior

I acclimatized them - perhaps too quickly, and put them in.

6 died after an hour.
One juvenile lasted till some time early morning.

The other one I can see has turned a lovely red and seems to be quite happy. I can't see any others.

I'm wondering if perhaps the shrimp were unhealthy and weak when I bought them, and I've shocked and killed the weaker ones when putting them into the new tank?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Signs of unhealthly shrimp upon purchase

Post by Mustafa »

Shrimp don't get shocked all that easily. I don't even acclimate my shrimp...if your tank has good water, it sure as hell is better to throw them in there right away then to leave them in possibly bad water from the store or shipping bags. In any case, I'd say something is wrong with your tank, unless the tank where the shrimp came from had already dead and dying shrimp in it. "Clear" is not a big deal with shrimp..."milky", "washed out", "whitish" are bad colors.

You'd have to give us more information about your tank. pH and kH would be great for starters.