My shrimp are laying eggs on moss, whats wrong with them?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

markmm
Egg
Egg

My shrimp are laying eggs on moss, whats wrong with them?

Post by markmm »

Hi, I have started shrimp for a hobby in a new aquarium which has been cleaned, treated with tetra aquasafe and easy balance.

I have no clue what the hp or nitrates/ammonia levels are as im trusting the tetra products and I dont have anything else other than the dead shell of a candy snail in there, I have around 4-5 moss balls tho.

My shrimp (18 cherry, 1 blue pearl and 3 rhino shrimp) seem completely fine in the tank eating from the moss balls in the tank (13l, double filtered, temp around 20-25 oc throughout the day and night) darting around the tank every now and then but after leaving a fish pellet over night i found it cover in a transparent gel with what looked like whitish/yellowish eggs in it as well as some on my jellyfish ornament and moss ball.

I then saw what looked like a shrimp kicking eggs off onto the floor of the tank and decided to read what is up with them and i cant find any answers other than somethings worng, it doesnt go into any details so does anyone know if the eggs are just unfetalised and they are getting rid of them or is something more serious happening?
markmm
Egg
Egg

Re: My shrimp are laying eggs on moss, whats wrong with them

Post by markmm »

IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG (236.97 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Thais is the best i can get of a picture
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: My shrimp are laying eggs on moss, whats wrong with them

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the hobby! :) It's hard to tell from the pictures, but those don't appear to be shrimp eggs. Even if they are, they are not viable. Shrimp can discard their eggs for one reason or another, but those eggs won't hatch. For eggs to hatch they need to be tended for by the female (who carries them around for several weeks). The young hatch directly from the eggs that are still on the female.