Anyone provide haul out areas for their CPO?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Louie
Egg
Egg

Anyone provide haul out areas for their CPO?

Post by Louie »

Hello
I have a 20 gallon long which I am setting up for CPO's . I plan on buying 3 but not sure if a haul out area such as some driftwood is welcomed by these crays .
Ten years ago, I kept Orconectes immunis and the females slept on the haul out areas right at the waters edge , male never used the haul out.

I plan to use a box filter with carbon and floss thus can fill the tank 3/4 high and provide haul out area. Tank cover will be screen top cover such as reptile fine mesh screen cover.

Any input would be great.

Thank you
Craw Chief
Egg
Egg

Re: Anyone provide haul out areas for their CPO?

Post by Craw Chief »

It would probably look cool, but they don't necessarily need one. It's really up to you. I'd like to see pictures when you set it up.

Also, are you still keeping O. immunis these days? Any other cray species?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

A land area is completely unnecessary for these guys. They never leave the water voluntarily.
Louie
Egg
Egg

Post by Louie »

Mustafa wrote:A land area is completely unnecessary for these guys. They never leave the water voluntarily.

Thank you, this changes my set up idea and might just go with much higher water level and HOB filter.
Louie
Egg
Egg

Post by Louie »

Craw Chief wrote:It would probably look cool, but they don't necessarily need one. It's really up to you. I'd like to see pictures when you set it up.

Also, are you still keeping O. immunis these days? Any other cray species?

I kept immunis when I lived in NY but illegal in Florida , where I now live.

If not I would keep them again. Though they seem to enjoy the winter cool temps of basements .

I found them very neat, had 3 till they passed away from old age . Got them from the bluecrayfish guy . 1M 2F which lived in a 30 gallon long tank . The females would leave the water often as adults and would sleep on the driftwood but it could have been because the much smaller male wanted to mate all the time but other than that they got along great .

Never had any young .

I do not keep any crays now (just shrimp) and CPO's are what I am interested in, plan on 3 for a 20 gallon .
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The native dwarf crayfish C. shufeldtii or C. puer are other options. Both are smaller and *much* more peaceful than the C. patzcuarensis. With the latter species you constantly see animals running around with one or two claws and legs missing...especially females after mating.