Filter Questions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jayr232
Larva
Larva

Filter Questions

Post by jayr232 »

Hi im new to shrimp keeping and I figured that in the future when my fishes became old and die naturally, I might turn the rest of my aquariums to shrimp tanks instead. So my question is, I have a 54 ltrs tank and I have Eheim pickup 2008 in it. Is it safe for the shrimps? Keep in mind that it is still as of now a community tank and I have no plan whatsoever of adding shrimps anytime soon. Thanks !
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Filter Questions

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like your filter has a sponge that would keep the shrimp from getting sucked into the propeller area (where they would get chopped up). It should be ok. The only issue I see with it is that baby shrimp may be able to get into the sponge compartment, grow up there for a few weeks or months and not be able to get back out. I've seen it happen.... The rule of thumb with filters is that if the shrimp (including hatchlings, which are tiny) can't fit through the filter intake, it's usually a good enough filter.