Tank Progress

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

DerpStar
Egg
Egg

Tank Progress

Post by DerpStar »

So I posted a while back about rocks for the tank and I decided to settle with red lava rock and some calcium rocks from an etsy vendor. Thought I would post my progress so far :)

These were taken the night I set up the tank. (1/18/14) It's sitting on the little window between the kitchen and dining area, so I get to see them from both sides!

I got my snails in on 1/31/14 after having to wait an excruciatingly long time due to the arctic cold front. :P

And this was taken today (2/26/14). I'm wondering if I should let the tank cycle longer before purchasing any shrimp. The tank and glass is looking nice and brown. Little specs of green algae can be seen on some of the substrate. The layer of algae that was on the surface of the water is now a tannish color.

Oh and my snails had a baby at some point, too! It's stuck on the side of the tank under some substrate. I'm guessing it fell between the cracks, but I'm sure it can crawl its way out. :)
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Re: Tank Progress

Post by SillyDaddy »

Interesting, if they have actually had a baby, then it may be safe. I am of the mind that given a month after the purchase of the Macro-algae and snails it is safe. Just to be safe, wait a little bit to order though.
AndyH
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by AndyH »

I always like seeing a new tank starting up :) Yours looks like it'll be a nice home for the Opae! Because a month has passed and there is algae showing, I would guess it is ready when you are.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

The snails, macro algae and now a nice biofilm growing every where, I think it is time to order your shrimp. Keep the pictures coming!
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Nice tank!! How many gallons? I'm sorry if I missed it in your previous post. Also, Is that a florescent light or LED? Can't wait to see pictures with the shrimp enjoying their new home.
DerpStar
Egg
Egg

Post by DerpStar »

BostonJill wrote:Nice tank!! How many gallons? I'm sorry if I missed it in your previous post. Also, Is that a florescent light or LED? Can't wait to see pictures with the shrimp enjoying their new home.
It's a 10 gallon tank with a fluorescent light.

I think I will wait a couple more weeks before purchasing any shrimp!
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

It looks good. On reviewing your tank in the photos, I think you may be ready, but it is up to you. You know better than I do how many shrimp you will be getting. Your tank definitely looks nice.
DerpStar
Egg
Egg

Post by DerpStar »

Thankfully I waited out on ordering Shrimp. I am hitting the 8 week cycle mark and I think my snails may be dead??? I don't know if it's normal for them to stop moving for days at a time ... but I poked one of them gently to see if I'd at least get a retraction reaction and nothing.

I'm worried.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Odd. Provide a picture and let Mustafa chime in.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, post a picture. Your tank looked ready for shrimp to me, too, judging from your pictures and descriptions. Have you made any changes to the tank? The inhabitants don't just up and die for no reason....