what kink of rock is safe/\?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mi55Dr
Egg
Egg

what kink of rock is safe/\?

Post by Mi55Dr »

Hi there, I am setting up a new tank for my opea ula and was looking to purchase a colorful rock for them and found a very pretty Blue Azurite with Malachite on Ebay. My concern is that the rock won't be safe for my opea. Does anyone know if this rock will distort the water quality for my shrimp? I only have sand and lava rock in the tank they are in now and wanted to put a prettier rock in the new tank. I also looked at agate geodes but liked the color of the blue azurite with malachite much better. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: what kink of rock is safe/\?

Post by Mustafa »

Just research the stability of these minerals in water. As long as they don't leach at normal aquarium pH levels, they should be safe.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

If you have a sample available you could always test it with water in a spare container...
Mi55Dr
Egg
Egg

Post by Mi55Dr »

I looked up the mineral content on wikipedia and it has some copper in it so I decided it wouldn't be a good idea and I ordered an agate geode instead to mineral content to speak of. Once it gets here I will do water testing before adding shrimp. Thanks for the advice. I don't want to mess anything up.