Plants

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Plants

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Hi all i was wondering what plants would be safe for my supershrimp tank and i mean leafy plants not like algae or moss please thank all who answer
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Re: Plants

Post by SillyDaddy »

It really depends on the size of your tank. You should do some homework to find out about brackish plants and their growth rate/height BEFORE deciding what to get.
Some things to get you started:
Samolus valerandi ihas a very high tolerance of brackish water, up to 30 ppt, around SG 1.020, but it is difficult to grow. It needs a rich substrate and strong lighting.

Some people plant Mangroves, but they tend to grow a bit much.

Other than that, All I can recommend is turtle grass (sea grass)
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Also plants that wont like kill the shrimp if they eat it or whatever
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

As I don't foresee the plants as being a danger to the shrimp. They are so small, they really only eat algae that grows in their tanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'd be careful about using Samolus valerandi...although literature says that it has a high tolerance for salt, that applies to plants growing on land, possibly submerged with the tides. However, I don't know of anyone growing this plant in high salt conditions completely submerged. Even growing submersed in freshwater seems to be difficult to impossible in the long run from what I am reading. If anyone wants to experiment with this plant, please share your experiences here (and don't experiment with it in your shrimp tank...goes without saying I would think.).
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Thanks I'm using sea grass