Shrimp from the Mekong River?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shadows
Egg
Egg

Shrimp from the Mekong River?

Post by Shadows »

Hey guys, new to this forum, nice to meet you all!

I have multiple aquariums, primarily biotope based aquaria. I have recently set up a 35g (36x12x18) aquarium, a (loosely based) biotope of the Mekong River. The tank so far contains:

Fish:
1 - Betta splendens
6 - Pangio semicincta

Plants:
3 - Nymphea sp. (Lilies)
? - Java Fern

The tank will have more fish and plants added in time, just introducing plants slowly!

Now for my question! I would love to add a species of shrimp to the mix, but want to stay as close to the biotope as I can. The shrimp species needs to thrive (not tolerate) a pH of 6.5 (give or take), and I would much prefer it to originate in either the Mekong or the Chao Phraya River and needs to be 100% Freshwater!

All help is greatly appreciated!

PS. Hope I haven't come off to formal or anything :roll: , wasn't intended to lol
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Shrimp from the Mekong River?

Post by KenCotigirl »

There are a number of shrimp that thrive in pH of 6.5. The problem is fish and shrimp do not mix. When you say thrive you mean multiply/breed. Even if the shrimp breed their offspring will surely become fish food.
Ken
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

You should try tiger shrimp. As they are hard to find, with enough moss the fishes should ignore them. But if they were to breed it will be unavoidable for some of the babies to be eaten by the fishes. I would say that you start with a couple of shrimps first and see if your fish will just ignore them. It will be too hard on your wallet when you buy expensive fish food ;)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you don't mind things with claws...The fuzzy claw macro, Macrobrachium eriocheirum, may fit your bill. Mine don't bother fish, but then they're in a 110 gallon tank with lots of space.