Getting ready for Blue Jellies

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

NaomiR
Egg
Egg

Getting ready for Blue Jellies

Post by NaomiR »

Hi I'm in the UK and in the process of setting up my first 2 shrimp specific tanks; the first one is 28 litres it has a sand substrate and is planted, it's matured pretty quickly (so I'm super excited) I'm just waiting for my next water change then I'll order my blue jellies. From empty tank to shrimp will be around 3/4 weeks by the time they arrive.

My next tank is 38 litres and I've gone with Shrimp Soil, this tank will be moss planted and will probably take longer to mature, I'm hoping to keep crystal red bees but their parameters are harder to maintain so I don't expect to get those any time soon!!

What should I get to feed my shrimp? I've seen white "snowflake" complete good, algae wafers and all manner of leaves and powders so I'm a bit confused - any help would be massively appreciated thank you
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Getting ready for Blue Jellies

Post by KenCotigirl »

Add some pictures when the blue jellies arrive. Food, any quality fish food is adequate. Buy the smallest amount available. It will stay fresh that way. If you have cash to burn the specility foods work. Not sure these are really game changers. Adding a oak leaf or mulberry leaf or a leaf from your yard works also. Just make there are no pesticides on them. The leaves get covered with biofilm the shrimp eat the biofilm and decaying leaves. Do not over do leaves. One or two at a time. I would soak the leaves for a week or two out side then add to tank.

What is a shrimp soil?

I would recommend that you stay with one tank, the 28liter, until you have several generations of successful breeding. 6 months to a year. The blue jellies are neos and should be easier to keep than the crystals as they have wider temp, pH, etc.. Tolerances. Once you are successful with them then start up the crystals.

Two tanks, different species, different conditions and being new to shrimp may be a challenge. Shrimp are sensitive and starting slower is a smart path to choose.

You did not mention it but I hope you will be using a simple air powered sponge filter. Simple and effective.
NaomiR
Egg
Egg

Post by NaomiR »

Yes filtered well and I think you make a very good point about the 2 tanks I hadn't considered the practicalities of monitoring and maintaining 2 totally different set ups I really appreciate you pointing out the obvious which, in my excitement, I hadn't even thought of!!

I like the leaves idea what should I be pre soaking them in? I guess I can use tank water when I do my weekly change?

Thanks again for your help
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes..tank water works. Otherwise, dechlorinated water.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

KenCotigirl wrote:Add some pictures when the blue jellies arrive. Food, any quality fish food is adequate. Buy the smallest amount available. It will stay fresh that way. If you have cash to burn the specility foods work. Not sure these are really game changers. Adding a oak leaf or mulberry leaf or a leaf from your yard works also. Just make there are no pesticides on them. The leaves get covered with biofilm the shrimp eat the biofilm and decaying leaves. Do not over do leaves. One or two at a time. I would soak the leaves for a week or two out side then add to tank.

What is a shrimp soil?

I would recommend that you stay with one tank, the 28liter, until you have several generations of successful breeding. 6 months to a year. The blue jellies are neos and should be easier to keep than the crystals as they have wider temp, pH, etc.. Tolerances. Once you are successful with them then start up the crystals.

Two tanks, different species, different conditions and being new to shrimp may be a challenge. Shrimp are sensitive and starting slower is a smart path to choose.

You did not mention it but I hope you will be using a simple air powered sponge filter. Simple and effective.
Shrimp soil is a type of active soil shrimp breeders commonly use in Europe because it buffers the water to the ideal water parameters for the usual caridina species.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

NaomiR wrote:Hi I'm in the UK and in the process of setting up my first 2 shrimp specific tanks; the first one is 28 litres it has a sand substrate and is planted, it's matured pretty quickly (so I'm super excited) I'm just waiting for my next water change then I'll order my blue jellies. From empty tank to shrimp will be around 3/4 weeks by the time they arrive.

My next tank is 38 litres and I've gone with Shrimp Soil, this tank will be moss planted and will probably take longer to mature, I'm hoping to keep crystal red bees but their parameters are harder to maintain so I don't expect to get those any time soon!!

What should I get to feed my shrimp? I've seen white "snowflake" complete good, algae wafers and all manner of leaves and powders so I'm a bit confused - any help would be massively appreciated thank you
Shrimps of both neocaridina and caridina species reacts well to ''snowflakes'' in fact, even the long-armed shrimps likes them. You should always feed a variety of food. Genchem, Ebita Breed, and Shrimpking are also good brands but a little bit cheaper than the high-end mosura products
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There is absolutely no reason to buy specialized shrimp food. Any high quality fish food is more than good enough.