Baby Shrimps - Changing water problem

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

syber
Egg
Egg

Baby Shrimps - Changing water problem

Post by syber »

Hi Guys,

Am rather new to rearing shrimps. One of my shrimps just gave birth to a few baby shrimps, around 4 to 5 that I can see physically cos they are really small. Its almost 1 week since I changed the water in the tank and i am thinking of changing water soon. However, the baby shrimps presence makes things complicated as i am afraid that they may get sucked by the hose when i change the water.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance :D :D

Another question: Is it a good idea to separate the baby shrimps from the adult shrimps?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Baby Shrimps - Changing water problem

Post by Mustafa »

Hi syber,

If you haven't done so, please read at least the following article:

http://www.petshrimp.com/articles/faq.php

Some short answers:

No, no need to remove the young. As for the water change, I would wait (a few weeks is ok...the shrimp won't care). Not because water changes themselves are dangerous, but because people tend to no treat their source water sufficiently (dechlorinators), and their source water tends to be quite alkaline (changes the pH of the tank). It may not affect the adult shrimp much, but babies are a lot more sensitive.
syber
Egg
Egg

Re: Baby Shrimps - Changing water problem

Post by syber »

Thanks for the quick reply Mustafa! Appreciate it. Will heed your advice on it :-D