Discovered A New Brackish Water Plant!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

Re: Discovered A New Brackish Water Plant!

Post by Paulzie67 »

Since more than one person said they die back and can regrow, I searched the container I had them in and there are Several small orange dots around the container. I tried to get pics but they're FAR to tiny for my iPhone to focus on them. I tried but just have some blurry pics with brownish looking smudges. All of them are in the area the pieces I had were in though.
Have any of you ever noticed any small orange dots on things near your Batophora?

TIA
Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

Re: Discovered A New Brackish Water Plant!

Post by Paulzie67 »

Been doing a bit of research and reading.... Found a link with an image from the Bahamas of Batophora oerstedi. Since that's the species of Batophora found close to the keys and since I Also found some "Acetabularia crenulata" in the same area, I'm going to guess that's what mine was. And you can see some reddish orange colored pieces as well... just like mentioned by someone else about theirs.
Scroll through these pics... pretty cool looking! AND they're growing in a brackish 'pond'. That tells me Acetabularia may survive in our tanks as well. Anyone on here living in the Bahamas? May be worth a try!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47445767@N05/16326234649

Oh Wait!!! It also grows along the "overseas Highway" in the Keys in "Great abundance".
In Wikipedia it states "Acetabularia crenulata, one of the many species known as mermaid's wineglass, is a form of green alga generally found in shallow tropical seas. It can be found growing in great abundance along stretches of the overseas highway to Key West, Florida bordering on Florida Bay."
That tells me Batophora probably does too! Is ANYONE from the Keys? Or going to the Keys any time soon?
If I had known before I took my trip a few months back, I'd have searched more! Really bummed now :-/

Here they call it Green Horsetail
https://www.marinelifephotography.com/m ... rstedi.htm