Discovered A New Brackish Water Plant!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Discovered A New Brackish Water Plant!

Post by Mustafa »

jonesinfershrimp wrote:id love to get some of this! i wonder it if can grow in FW?
Nope, it's definitely not freshwater. It's a marine organism that seems to be able to grow in high salinity brackish water.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

do you sell this online on your store Mustafa? if not you should
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Batophora oerstedii? Identified by Bruno De Reviers from MNHN, Paris.

Confusingly, this large thing is unicellular and have one single nucleus, hiden in the "root". Mustafa, I think this why you where unable to grow it in your tank: you took a calceous shell full of chloroplasts from the shop but withous nucleus. I think you need the mature sporangia (orange) or a piece of the root to duplicate the alga.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the identification Stalker! That's definitely it! Ok, I'll try to go see if this alga species is still in the pet shop tank. Hope it didn't die out. It would be a great addition to the hobby. I'll have to see if it does ok with the extremely low nutrient levels in a Supershrimp tank, though. The pet shop was feeding quite heavily if I remember correctly.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

Definitely an interesting find. Thanks for sharing. It seems interesting.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Jason, how is your algae doing? Is it still growing?

Mustafa, do you have this available? I want it. It has form and I am willing to risk the aquascape that I had envisioned to have it. I assume that it would suck up the nutrients and out compete the extensive Marimo that I have. What further experiences have you had with this? Please, share.
Last edited by Ace on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nope, don't have it. Never got around to actually going back to the store to get it. But thanks for the reminder! I may go see if they still have it. Haven't been there forever!
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

They do have it and the tank has a good amount of it. They are $10 a portion. They refuse to ship it to me. I am going crazy because I really want it. Do you have any ideas as to what I could do to get it?

I was told that the reason that they refuse to send it is because they have a no livestock agreement with UPS. I then offered to send a USPS shipping box to them with return postage paid and I was told: "no".

What can I do Mustafa?
Last edited by Ace on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Ace, that's really frustrating! I go to southern California a few times a year. If I find myself in the San Diego area, I will stop by for you and I'm sure we can work something out.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

:-D

Wow!

Really!?

If I can't get it another way, I would so much appreciate that!

I am going to try as best I can to get it but that would give me hope that it would happen eventually should I not be successful. I would certainly be so thankful! :-D

And it certainly is frustrating. I think I lost a little sanity.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Unfortunately, this topic has no photos left. Here are some photos. While they are not all clear, you can see well enough to appreciate what it is.
Attachments
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

As you can see, it is a gorgeous macro algae. It's full height is about 3 inches. It would simply be a wonderful addition to the hobby and it definately should be preserved in collections.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Ace if you are able to obtain samples of the algae and they thrive in your tanks I hope you could share. From what I recall they are fast growing.

KenP
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Ace, thanks for adding pictures. It is very pretty.
Please update the thread if you find anything else out, otherwise I will try to get some for you and Kencotigirl (if you want them) the next time I'm down south.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Absolutely!

I think that this information by Stalker could be very important in being successful with portions of this algae.
Stalker wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:52 am Batophora oerstedii? Identified by Bruno De Reviers from MNHN, Paris.

Confusingly, this large thing is unicellular and have one single nucleus, hiden in the "root". Mustafa, I think this why you where unable to grow it in your tank: you took a calceous shell full of chloroplasts from the shop but withous nucleus. I think you need the mature sporangia (orange) or a piece of the root to duplicate the alga.
Mustafa, would you be willing to get 3 portions of this for me when you stop by there to get some?

Pleeeeeeeeeease ???