baby shrimp die

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Martijn
Egg
Egg

baby shrimp die

Post by Martijn »

I have my opae ula shrimp for 1,5 year now and they doing fine.
last months they started breeding. the berried females walking around with all these eggs.

after some days the little shrimp floating around in the tank.
but when the are a week old or so they start walking around the tank and then they disappear.

i have a lot of hiding places, but when al the shrimp are going across the tank looking for food i never see the little shrimp again.

now i have again 2 berried shrimp swimming around one with 5 or 6 eggs and one with 20 to 30 eggs. i really want to know whats going on.

i want the shrimp to survive of course.
is this a thing that often happens?
i heard it was easy to breed them and so far i don't have any problems,
enough algae , and when the water evaporates i fil it with Ro water.

i hope you guys did not notice that my english isn't that good :D.

i looking forward to some answers.

some pictures of my thank.( sorry fotos are form some time ago tank looks better now)

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj7e00jl4termjx/SAM_3622.JPG?dl=0

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4gc0tacx6gplp2/SAM_3670.JPG?dl=0
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: baby shrimp die

Post by KenCotigirl »

Martijn, I have had similar experiences. The floaters turn into walkers then disappear. However after a few weeks I will see a few very small shrimp, 4mm in size. It is hard not to worry. If you are still getting berried shrimp and floaters I would say your environment is fine and the shrimp are happy.

Ps. I cannot see or access the pictures. Your English is fine. I should be able to write in another language so well.
shmohney
Larva
Larva

Post by shmohney »

You're having better luck than I am. I had my tank for a year before the first female was berried. She had eggs for forty days before they finally hatched. I watched a couple of them swim around, and went to bed. In the morning they were gone and have not reappeared. Nor have I had any more berried shrimp. All the shrimp seem to be fine and healthy as well as I can tell, but no reproduction, sadly.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Shrimp like to hide. In one of my tanks, I never saw a berried female and I never saw larvae floating. And then one day, I saw tiny little shrimp feeding off the glass. So I would say to wait and see.