RCS and Tetra's

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

speshrugby
Egg
Egg

RCS and Tetra's

Post by speshrugby »

hi guys , i just joined , how r we all :)
right i have had my rcs for about 7 or 8 months now , started with 13 , they all died unfortunately due to rapid temp change but before the last one died it gave birth , fast forward to now and i have about 200 :) :) they are in a 30gallon planted tank , have moved a large amount over to a planted nano tank.So down to my question , i want to put neon tetras or similar fish in the 30g tank with them , but am worried they might eat them all lol , i seem to have a new brood every week or so , so have a wide mix of sizes in there.

any help or tips or suggestions on other fish to have with them.

thanks all in advance

speshrugby
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: RCS and Tetra's

Post by KenCotigirl »

Hi nice to have you. Fish and shrimp do not mix. In a heavily planted tank the shrimp can survive. However they will hide most of the time. Keep a fish tank and keep a shrimp tank.

Ken
speshrugby
Egg
Egg

Post by speshrugby »

thanks ken for the reply , thats what i kinda thought unfortunately, also another question , i started with red cherry shrimp , which were red :P but i would say at least 80 or 90 percent of the brood now are a grey or clear colour! is this normal , and or is there anything i can do to bring out the red colour not that they arent nice its just there 170 greys lol
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Yes. You can cull. You can place the poorly colored shrimp in a planted tank. Keep only the more red shrimp in their own tank. Make sure you do not get rid of all the males. You can also add some nice red shrimp.

Ken
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

Hello I am a newbie I accept, however I have been very careful with the fish I have selected, as I wanted a very peaceful tank of fish and shrimp. I have RCS with cardinal tetras and have had no problems with the medium to adult shrimp, as i have no babies yet I can't vouch for them and would imagine that they would eat them purely with the size of baby shrimp. If your talking about medium to adults then I don't think you will have a problem, I have some hiding places for them if they get nervous but they swim past each other in the tank without even a glance.

I also have guppies, platties, copper harlequin rasaboras and ottos, none have gone for the shrimp and I have watched for hours. I have seem platties and guppies sometimes become curious mainly when food is in the tank but when they get near and realise its a shrimp they leave them alone, the worst I have seen is a playful peck to move them when they are going after algae wafers but not an actual bite or attack and all the shrimps have been fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah..small fish can work with adult shrimp, but babies is a different story. But even then in a java moss jungle shrimp babies may survive. When people say "keep shrimp alone" they're talking about maximizing survival rates and getting a large colony going. :)
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

Yes that's what I am hoping that I can have enough survive to have a functioning self-sustaining colony.