Yet another "What kind of Shrimp are these?"

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fdvinn
Egg
Egg

Yet another "What kind of Shrimp are these?"

Post by fdvinn »

Hi, newly registered to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while now.

I know this question has been asked (and answered) a lot, but the more I read and watch pics, the more I have no idea what kind of shrimp I have.

I've seen pics around and they look like Amazon Glass Shrimp, but not quite. They also look like macrobrachium lanchesteri, but their front "legs" are not that long (or maybe they are?).
They also look like Indian Whiskers and like the American glass Shrimp.
So as you can see, I've no idea what I'm looking at.

Here are some pics.
(Sorry for the dirty glass)
http://1drv.ms/1yNLQ32

They sell them here simply as Ghost Shrimp.
I asked the LFS guy about them and "surprisingly" he knew nothing about their origin. All I got was that they sell them as feeder shrimp or "cleaning" crews.
I don't think many people around here keep them as pets.

The largest one is about 4.5cm (almost 2 inches), and the smallest one is about 3cm (almost 1.5 inches).
One of them has a a reddish hue to it's skin, and red lines. The other ones are more transparent and greenish-brown lines.

I have 3 of them, and do not seem too agressive towards each other, although they sometimes "push" for a territory and don't seem to actually interact much more than that.

There are some leeches in the tank, that they have grabbed and tried to eat them, but the leeches escaped (as far as I could see).

They eat everything in their path (dried gammarus shrimp, detritus, dead plants. They pick "stuff" sticked to the silicone on the glass joints, and also cleaned all the stuff that was stocked in the filter intake).

The two largest ones molted less than 12 hours after getting them in the tank. I thought they were dying from shock or something, buty they seem perfectly happy.

These are not very shy. They walk and eat all day, at night they start swimming a lot.

Hope the pics and description might help.
I would like to see If I can add some RCS or maybe a Betta to the tank.

Thanks.
fdvinn
Egg
Egg

Re: Yet another "What kind of Shrimp are these?"

Post by fdvinn »

Update:

I've been searching and I think I know which kind I might have.
Being that I'm in Venezuela and imports are almost impossible here, and that shrimp as pets is not a big thing over here, I thought to look into local species.

And I narrowed down to a couple of species.
Macrobrachium jelskii, is most likely to be what I have.

Here is a link in portuguese:
http://www.planetainvertebrados.com.br/ ... 63&local=2

And here it is translated by google:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

The pics, description, behaviour, etc. fit my shrimp.

These guys are really fun to watch all day. They steal food from each other.
They "hunt" sinking food before it reaches the bottom.
Yesterday I was cleaning the inside of the glass with a sponge and one of them just jumped to the sponge and wouldn't let go. I inserted a wooden stick for a minute and they inmediately climbed it and started checking it out.
They pulled out from the roots a big chunk of eleocharis parvula that it's dying on the tank.

Overall they are very active, day and night, and more fun than any fish I had.

If this is my species, could I keep Red Cherries with them?
I have a 50% planted 5 gallon tank.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Looks like Macrobrachium lamarrei maybe
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You can keep adult red cherry shrimp with them, but they'd probably go after the babies. Did the shrimp grow at all? Your ID may actually be correct if indeed Venezuela does not import much.