Generally Unsuccessful Shrimp Keeping....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jaiden
Egg
Egg

Generally Unsuccessful Shrimp Keeping....

Post by jaiden »

Hi All,

Please can you take the time to see what you think is wrong with my shrimp tank.
We started with Bee Shrimp/Crystal Red Shrimp. These have all died off now except one. We tried a few other types of shrimp with little success. We then tried Red Cherry Shrimp, as we read that they were an easier shrimp to keep (more of a beginner shrimp) and hardier. These are doing better in our aquarium (aka dying less frequently), but aren't breeding, and are not very active, and just hang out all in one spot at the back of the tank. We must have bought around 50 RCS from various different places, both hobbyists and shops, and now only have about 15. All the shrimp die one or two at a time, pretty randomly, not after water changes. Most go pink and curl up on their sides but we have had some that have just frozen in the same spot and kept their colour and stiffness until we realise that they are dead.
Our shrimp are also not interested in any type of additional food. They never 'swarm' to any added foods like many other people have described. We have tried blanched courgette, crust-tabs, hikari shrimp cuisine, regular algae wafers and various homemade foods from uk breeders. We very rarely add any food now, possibly once a week/fortnight. We add Bacter AE a couple of times a week.
I feel like I have read every forum, article and piece of advice out there about keeping shrimp, and yet still I'm not getting anywhere. I really do love the hobby but if I can't figure out whats going wrong I guess I'm going to have to give it up.
I would love to hear any suggestions.

Set Up: 30L Tank, cycled before livestock addition, sponge filter.
Substrate: GlasGarten Aquarium Enviroment Soil with some Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder
Plants: several mosses and a few low-tech plants. All thriving
Other: bog wood, slate, mineral rocks
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 10
PH: 6.4
KH: 1
GH: 6
TDS: around 200
Temp: 22 C
Copper: none
Water: RO Water remineralised with Salty Shrimp mineral powder.
Other additives: Cattapa X liquid, Bacter AE
Water Change: Once a week, 2-3L (10%) drip processed back into tank at 1-2 drips per second
Any contaminants?: We don't use any cleaning chemicals on or near the tank, we seldom put our hands in the tank, we sterilise all tools before use and hands before maintenance.
Livestock: 1 x Crystal Red Shrimp, 2 x Yellow 'Jelly bean' Shrimp, 4 x Black Shrimp (not tiger?!) ~15 x Red Cherry Shrimp. There are a few seed shrimp and little copepods hanging about too.
Duration: Cycled since September 2014.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Generally Unsuccessful Shrimp Keeping....

Post by KenCotigirl »

I do not keep these shrimp anymore. I have concentrated on the Opae ula. Your parameters look ok. Stick with the cherry shrimp until you are successful. Maybe for a year. pH arround 7 + is better for the red cherry shrimp. Most important is stable parameters. For the cherry shrimp the exotic substrate not needed. The wood may leach tannins into the water. Mosses are good. If the shrimp are producing waste they are eating so watch over feeding. Do not use additives. Usually a waste of money and is just another complication. Try to keep it simple. Patience. Keep us updated.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Generally Unsuccessful Shrimp Keeping....

Post by Mustafa »

Any updates? How long has the tank been set up? If it's new it's probably not even properly cycled.