Long Distance Move

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bchanar
Egg
Egg

Long Distance Move

Post by bchanar »

Hi all,

I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 red cherries and 3 ghost shrimp in addition to a bunch of babies that I'm not sure what breed they are (probably ghosts).

I have to move across states. The journey will probably take 2 nights and 3 days. Any thoughts on how to move it? I was kind of hoping to just reduce the water level to a gallon, all the shrimp still inside, put the whole thing in a styrofoam box, and drive go with a bubbler. But that seems like wishful thinking. No one I've seen talking about moving aquariums has mentioned any plan where all the animals are kept in the aquarium. Thanks!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Long Distance Move

Post by KenCotigirl »

Sounds like a plan. Just keep the water you removed.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's how I would do it, too. Did it work?
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

Following.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Maybe the user lost his/her password....or interest. :-D
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

i hope the move went well (password or interest lost aside).

i have actually been designing a tank for long distance moves recently, with a 12v plug-in to the car lighter, for the (built in) air pump with a sponge filter :) all you would need to do is make sure you "seed" the sponge before you move (OBVIOUSLY LMAO)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If you have a picture of your design, please feel free to post it. For long distance moves (if you have tons of shrimp and know how to package them) I just package the shrimp like I am sending them to a customer and off they go. Of course you would have to establish tanks for them at the destination before you can do that. That's how I moved my shrimp from New York to San Diego (*really* long distance).