Are ghost shrimp cannibals?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chris91jones

Are ghost shrimp cannibals?

Post by chris91jones »

recently i purchased 9 feeder ghost shrimp. after 2 days though, 1 was munching on the others. it was a huge pregnant shrimp. any advice. 1 gal tank? 2 little food? help me! PLEASE!
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

Ghost shrimp have a tendency to die quickly in tanks. I believe Mustafa states in his care sheet that many are not true fresh water shrimp and describes that as the reason. Like most any scavenger ghost shrimp will eat their deceased comrades.

On the subject of them dieing in tanks quickly I have found that at least 10-20 percent of the ones I buy die before they get eaten. I dump about 50 in every two weeks for my rope fish to eat at their leisure and for them to help clean up detritus.
chris91jones

Post by chris91jones »

also about your 1st message they werent dead yet
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

Maybe she was calcium deprived? Or maybe she needs more protein? If the other shrimp didn't try to get away, there might have been something wrong with it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Chris,

Do everyone a favor and try not to use a million exclamation and question marks. Also, using CAPS all the time is considered yelling in online circles. Try to also have some patience with replies. People don't sit in front of their computers all day. This way you can also reduce the amount of unnecessary posts and threads.

Also, *write out* your words and use punctuation. Many people are not used to seeing acronyms and abbreviations for every second word you are using, nor is it desired. Leaving out punctuation makes your posts extremely hard to read, too. I personally do not like replying to posts that I can barely read or understand.

Just some friendly advice...

Mustafa
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

hahaha... I thought you were talking to me. (cause.... well Im a chris;) ) and I was very confused by your response.

Chris,

I can guarantee you that if your ghost shrimp was eating a live one. That it was on its way out the door anyway. Ghost shrimp lack the power and capabilites to pin down another one and eat it. It just wont happen.
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

ps
Mustafa,

This link may help you out;)

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/ao ... lator.html
chris91jones

Post by chris91jones »

Sorry about the exclamation points and the capitol locks. Thanks for the pointer. Sorry.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I have read numerous accounts of "ghost shrimp" eating other shrimp and fish as well. My guess is that they are long-armed shrimp as opposed to "ghost shrimp," or that "ghost shrimp" is such an ambigous name that it comprises any whitish/clear-ish colored shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Haha....that website is hilarious! Gotta bookmark it.... :-D

Mustafa
deliverme314 wrote:ps
Mustafa,

This link may help you out;)

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/ao ... lator.html
chris91jones

Post by chris91jones »

Thanks for the advice.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

chris91jones wrote:Sorry about the exclamation points and the capitol locks. Thanks for the pointer. Sorry.
Not a problem. :) I just thought I'd tell you right away. Sometimes people keep quiet about it and prefer not to reply to your posts. Then you have to wonder why you never get any replies. This way the issue is solved much quicker.

By the way, I also do not think that your ghost shrimp ate each other. One was probably already half dead when it was discovered as "food" by another one.

Mustafa
chris91jones

Post by chris91jones »

Oh okay. So next time I don't need quarintine any shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

chris91jones wrote:Oh okay. So next time I don't need quarintine any shrimp?
What does that have to do with any of the topics discussed above? :?

By the way...this is also called "hijacking a thread" in online circles. It means that you are asking a question or talking about a topic that has nothing to do with the thread itself. You want to avoid that.

Also, do a search in this forum first, before asking questions since people do not like answering questions several times. There is also good inormation under the "shrimp varieties" page on my website.

Mustafa
PS: I also took the liberty to get rid of the millions of exclamation and question marks, and also change the topic of this thread so it is readable and without spelling mistakes. I don't want people who visit this Forum to think that we all talk and write like that. I deleted some of your double posts in this thread and also got rid of some "thread hijackers."
Chris, try to follow the rules a little more, because I won't have time to constantly edit posts here. I thought it wasn't necessary, but maybe I will have to put up a page with "forum rules" soon, to make sure these things do not happen again.