From Saddle to Berried how long

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

itit_uk
Egg
Egg

From Saddle to Berried how long

Post by itit_uk »

Hello can I ask how long it takes from a female being saddled to being berried? I have been happy to see some saddled females at last and have read that they have a moult and then release pheromones to attract males to then mate and then they will get berried is this correct?

I also have read that there seems to be some problems with mortality at moulting and I really want some population of shrimps to start in my tank, is there anything I can do to help them get through moulting with less risk of death thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: From Saddle to Berried how long

Post by Mustafa »

No need to do anything special. It's hard to give you an exact number as it all depends on how far along the eggs in the ovaries are...but it could be from a few days to a few weeks.
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

Well a little excited today seen my first berried shrimp, so hope that the moss and tubes can give enough protection for them to hide in so some can grow to a large enough size to be safe in the open tank.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! :) :smt041
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

Make that 2 as of today a really red female with yellow eggs and a clear female with green eggs.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah...once they get going and the conditions are right...they just keep going. :)
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

Hello, I lost the one with green eggs after a water change and another non berried red one, after some reading I am going to revise my water changes.

I am changing about 20% every week, I am using cold water only but I didn't get it up to temperature so it dropped from about 26 degrees to 22 which i think may have done it. Also I have read that i should do dechlorination in a bucket and get it to temperature first. I have been using a python water changer and as I can't use hot water taps I will have to boil cold water and mix in the bucket. (I do have a combi boiler but can't get a definitive answer on whether they use the copper pipes or not to heat water).

Do you think this is the best way to do the water changes, I don't want to lose anymore, the fish are fine but I want the shrimp to be happy as well.

Oh one more thing changing my dechlorinator to Seachem Prime as I have read this is the best for the shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm pretty sure it's not the temp. And yes, *always* dechlorinate in a bucket first. Also, use a double dose of Prime. What's your kh/alkalinity?
itit_uk
Egg
Egg

Post by itit_uk »

I don't know I use a seneye to track the most important parameters but don't have anything to test to that extent. I have seen 2 more berried making 3 now. Maybe it was the chlorine and chloramines not mixing in the bucket first. It's not as easy as doing it straight back along the pipe but will try it to see if it makes a difference to put in the bucket get a better temperature and mix it first.

Should it stand a while after mixing?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The kh test kit should only cost about $5-8 (at least it does here in the US) and literally lasts forever. It's a bottle of liquid and a glass beaker things. The instructions are self-explanatory. And, yes, let the bucket of water sit for about 10 minutes. It takes a little bit of time for the dechlorinator to fully dechlorinate.