Pipipi snails reproducing

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hb5280
Larva
Larva

Pipipi snails reproducing

Post by hb5280 »

I have 10 small pipipi snails in my 12-gallon tank (actually only 10-gallons since it not filled to the top). At any rate, I noticed tiny specks swimming around a few days ago, hundreds of them. I'm worried because I feel like my tank has finally hit the perfect balance with my first baby Opae Ula doing well, looking and behaving just like mini versions of the adults. There's a very berried female, too. I'm not sure what to think about the snail spawn (?). They are microscopic but en masse easily seen, and I'm concerned they will upset the balance of my tank. Thoughts anyone?
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Pipipi snails reproducing

Post by Mech »

they wont cause any issues, just take them out if you feel they are getting in the way.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I will not say that the little critters are not pipipi snail larvae. Even if they are i would not worry about a snAil explosion as i have not heard of any one breeding these snails. I would bet that they are copepod larvae. The real tiny ones, larvae ?, are attracted to light and you see them near the surface. A small cloud. They seem to come and go. Just another tank inhabitant.

Ken
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

KenCotigirl wrote:I would bet that they are copepod larvae. The real tiny ones, larvae ?, are attracted to light and you see them near the surface. A small cloud.
This describes them, Ken! If you want to see a video clip I posted one on Instagram. https://instagram.com/p/5tCo3WgciH/?tak ... ackyardbee
At this point I have siphoned most of them out with a turkey baster. Since I'm curious to see what becomes of them, they're in a jar now. — Holly
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

hb5280 wrote:
KenCotigirl wrote:I would bet that they are copepod larvae. The real tiny ones, larvae ?, are attracted to light and you see them near the surface. A small cloud.
This describes them, Ken! If you want to see a video clip I posted one on Instagram. https://instagram.com/p/5tCo3WgciH/?tak ... ackyardbee
At this point I have siphoned most of them out with a turkey baster. Since I'm curious to see what becomes of them, they're in a jar now. — Holly
I've got the same mysterious floating specks! https://instagram.com/p/5ScLhNryM2/
I suspect it's some kind of swimming algae. They don't swim like Copepods do...
I saw someone mentioning the same thing on a thread somewhere in this huge "Supershrimp" forum. :lol:
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

mcdaney wrote:I've got the same mysterious floating specks!
Oh hey, good to see you here in the forum. I still suspect they are snail veligers. I believe they are feeding on phytoplankton. I am hypothesizing that the phytoplankton congregate where the light is the strongest and therefore the veligers will also congregate there. I do not think the veligers themselves are attracted to light, but rather to a food source. If there are seasonal blooms of phytoplankton, that might explain why you and I have the specks at the same time.

My tank has a black backdrop so the specks appear to be crystal clear there. But in the jar, I can see that they have a dark spot. I'll keep monitoring and update you of any developments.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Haha! Hey! Nice to see you here too :lol:
Yup shall wait for your updates.
I don't seem to have them anymore after that major water change I did hahaha
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I would leave them be. There numbers come and go. They are obviously eating something in the water column. I cannot imagine they compete with the shrimp for resources. They are filling a niche that is available. I personally like the fact that there other visible organisms beside the shrimp.

Ken
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

KenCotigirl wrote:I would leave them be. … They are filling a niche that is available. I personally like the fact that there other visible organisms beside the shrimp.
I siphoned out most but then there was another hatch. When they first appear they can be found in the meniscus. They can be observed rising with their moving parts at top in an "open" position. They draw in small particles then close the moving parts, which seems to cause them to drop vertically. Then they open and rise up, close and fall, repeating this action ad infinitum.

Just recently (it is now 23 AUG) they've moved from the meniscus and are working on the underside of the water surface/biofilm. Numbers do seem reduced but that could be an illusion since they're no longer concentrated in the meniscus. The shrimp completely ignore them.
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Re: Pipipi snails reproducing & berried shrimp

Post by hb5280 »

Just thought I'd update you on the berried shrimp. She started releasing larvae 3 days ago. 27 in total :shock:
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

thats great news :)
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

Poor mama shrimp. Her tail section is not the normal tapered shape anymore. It's pretty wide and she's still holding onto one egg. It doesn't seem to be a viable one. It looks unchanged, like a fresh berry.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Pipipi snails reproducing & berried shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

hb5280 wrote:Just thought I'd update you on the berried shrimp. She started releasing larvae 3 days ago. 27 in total :shock:

Are you sure you only had one berried female? That's a HUGE amount of larvae for this species of shrimp. :-D As for the tiny organisms you have...I doubt they are actually snail veligers...veligers are truly microscopic and probably would not show up at all in a camera shot. Either way, they won't harm the shrimp. I'd leave these creatures in there.
hb5280
Larva
Larva

Post by hb5280 »

Yes, Mustafa, just one berried female. It took her 4 days to unload and her swimmerettes still look funny (distended) even after she go rid of that dud egg. The little organisms are visible to the naked eye en masse which happens after the light's been on for a while. But otherwise I have to use a jeweler's loupe to see individuals. Even then it is difficult to see any detail. I have not been able to photograph one, even with a macro lens. Now I have a new blob of something on the glass to observe. There's always going to be something mysterious, isn't there?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

hb5280 wrote:There's always going to be something mysterious, isn't there?
Yes, until we figure out what it is. :) Any picture of the blob?