Leaves that are safe!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Leaves that are safe!

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

I have been doing alot of research lately and have found a short list of leaves that are safe for your shrimp. I have not personally tried any of these other than oak and maple. i am trying some others when i get home from holiday. If you have any others you find that work well, please share :) Also, if there are any here that are not safe to use please let me know and i will remove them ASAP!
  • Alder (leaves and cones)
    Almond
    Apple*
    Apricot*
    Ash
    Banana*
    Beech
    Crabapple
    Guava
    Hibiscus
    Indian Almond
    Madrona
    Maple
    Mulberry
    Oak
    Peach*
    Plum*
    Poplar
    Baby spinach
    Stinging Nettles
*Fruit tree leaves are swarmed when put in, but be careful not to leave them for too long! they will more quickly breakdown and cause water quality problems if left too long without being completely eaten or removed.

also, has anyone tried pawpaw leaves? i have a mountain side full of these trees.....

(updated 5:44 8/24/15)
Last edited by jonesinfershrimp on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Leaves that are safe!

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the list! In my experience most leaves that have fallen off the tree, are brown and quite dried out appear to be safe. Of course with so many different tree species out there it's not a good idea to generalize like that. In my own experience magnolia and ficus (e.g. rubber plant/tree) leaves are also safe when they are brown and dry.
richard
Egg
Egg

Post by richard »

hi noticed the list:) also blanched spinach baby leaves /stinging nettle,seem very tasty to bee shrimp :D
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Not to insult anyones intelligence. Be very careful using leaves especially fruit tree leaves. You need to know your leaf source. There is heavy pesticide use on fruit trees. Yes even the certified Organic pesticides can be deadly.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for pointing that out, Ken! That's why it's so important to not just throw leaves in a tank, but to soak them for several days (until they sink plus a day or two more) and change the water in the soaking container once or twice in the process. That should take care of any residual pesticides.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

I knew i felt like i was forgetting something for a reason, thanks Ken!