Neon yellow and Sakura red shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

YoungMrHoward
Larva
Larva

Neon yellow and Sakura red shrimp

Post by YoungMrHoward »

I'm thinking of keeping neon yellow cherry shrimp and Sakura red cherry shrimp together. Is this a bad idea?

Also, I plan on using my 5 gallon marineland portrait style aquarium. Does anyone know if the filter on this is safe for these shrimp? If not can I just go without a filter?

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML9060 ... n+aquarium
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Neon yellow and Sakura red shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

i suppose it will be ok if you are not wanting to breed them (? youre gona want a second opinion though i'm not so sure about overflows and shrimplets) i know for the shrimp I keep its a bad idea (as ghost shrimp have a free floating larval stage)

and you can not go without a filter as far as i know. but again, get another opinion lol
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Not that keeping reds and yellow together is wrong but they will inter breed and you will end up with poor colored shrimp. Just go one or the other in my opinion.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That filter is not safe for small shrimp...they will get get sucked in. You can try to have a filterless tank, but you have to be even more diligent about overfeeding. Plus...after a while your water may become slightly cloudy.