mech's opae'ula thread

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

mech's opae'ula thread

Post by Mech »

So i decided to make a topic for my videos and photos, my experiences and findings :)

Heres a quick vid of my 67litre tank, all busy eating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwX6UIBHdDs
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: mech's opae'ula thread

Post by mcdaney »

Wow they all look so red! :smt007 Nice! How many are there?
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

i have roughly 250 - 300 in the large tank and around 50 in one of my smaller tanks. The plan is to move about 100 between the smaller tanks but one isn't maturing as quick as the other so i have not put any shrimp into that particular tank yet. :D

i have 1 x 67 litre (17 gallons?) tank and 2 x 30 litre (7 gallons?) cubes, slightly different salinitys in them all, the 1st cube is 1.010 and the other is 1.012.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

its been around 2 days since i put some shrimp into one of my 30 litre cube tanks and they are still swimming around all over the place like when you first introduce them, strange... i tested the water and its fine any ideas? :?
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Wow that's a lot of shrimps haha!

Hmm as for the shrimps swimming around, give them some more time? Might be they love your setup so much they're happy to swim around :smt005 Maybe Mustafa might have a better answer by his experience hehe
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

id of expected them to be sat around eating by now like my other tank so its kind of strange, they are all very red and some you can see the green algae they have eaten inside of them so im kind of lost.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

Heres a quick video comparing the 2 tanks, im not concerned but would like to know why they haven't settled down :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RETY-9ZpE
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Mech wrote:Heres a quick video comparing the 2 tanks, im not concerned but would like to know why they haven't settled down :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RETY-9ZpE
Hmm are you using the heater? If so, is the water temperature the same for both small and big tank?
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

Yes it's about 22 degrees, they haven't lost their colour or started acting lethargic.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Mech wrote:Yes it's about 22 degrees, they haven't lost their colour or started acting lethargic.
Could it be that although the temperature of the thermometer is both set at 22 degrees but the actual water temperature varies? Since a larger tank will lose heat faster than the smaller tank? Just shooting in the dark here haha! Some animals are more active in certain temperatures.

If everything else is similar then I don't know what else it could be :smt005
My water is just room temperature and I don't use a heater since there's no cold season here in Asia :mrgreen:
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

i have the heaters set to 22, so when it picks up the temp it turns it off.. has its own thermostat. Here in the UK we are about to be in the frozen months which can drop to about -10 deg C so i have to use heaters in my house :wink: Some of the shrimp are on the rock eating now but only about 10% of them. i will keep an eye on them, im tempted to net them out and put them in my main tank.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Wow -10 degrees :shock:

I think they can tolerate a wide range of temperatures anyway haha! Just keep an eye on them. :wink:
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

im going to switch the LED lights off on the tank and see if there is any change after a few days, if not then i will switch the heater off and see if i get any results, whole time im testing water parameters too.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

Well ive had the LED lights off all day and about half of them have settled down in one of my small tanks which is good.

also fed a small piece of shrimp pellet in my main tank and the shrimps started to come eat it! its the 3rd time ive tried to feed them and they were not bothered until now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBuMPlky15E

Edit: I left the piece of pellet in the tank for about 3 - 4 hours then removed it, they would of eaten the whole thing if I had left it but I don't want it in any longer.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

Last night I went to check on tank #1 (the one with crazed swimming new shrimp) and 95% of them had settled to eat from the rock, so I put their light back on and put some window filter plastic on the lamp to reduce the light coming through by about 70% and added a vial or biodigest to aid the tank incase it's a water issue although I tested the water quality.

Will check back on them tonight when I'm home from work and see if there is any difference. I don't really want to reduce the light too much because of the lack of algae growth so I have different filter strengths to try.