Help! Something strange has appeared....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Ohsnapitzkel
Egg
Egg

Help! Something strange has appeared....

Post by Ohsnapitzkel »

I didn't know where else to post this. I have a tank with red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp. Also some fry in there. I went to feed them when I noticed a stranger hanging out... Never seen it before in the 8 or so months I've had it. Can anyone identify it? If so, are my shrimp in danger? Argh!
Attachments
image.jpeg
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Help! Something strange has appeared....

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

have you tried googling it? i have never seen anything like this before o.o
Ohsnapitzkel
Egg
Egg

Post by Ohsnapitzkel »

Found it on another forum. Apparently it's a dragonfly nymph. Mean little guys also apparently. Sheesh. So note to everyone else, get them out when you see them. This one hasn't eaten anything yet that I can tell, other than the shrimp foods, but they have been known to eat small fish you may have as pets in your tank when they get bigger. :shock: now I must tear my tank apart and make sure it's the only one in there...
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

yup, either a may fly or dragonfly nymph, they will eat your shrimp and at some point grow some wings and fly out of your tank, you MUST remove this.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You probably dragged in the eggs somehow from a pond or something. Or it may have come in on plants that were grown in commercial ponds outside. Usually dragonflies don't lay eggs in living room fish tanks. :-D :wink:
uslanja
Egg
Egg

Post by uslanja »

I know this is an old thread but we recently found one of those in our tank. A very nasty looking critter! The photo of yours is quite impressive. Nice photography skills! Ours must have hitchhiked in on plants from the LFS because we did not collect anything from the wild. What a great hobby with all of the amazing things that we find in our tanks.