new Ghost Shrimp set-up

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

new Ghost Shrimp set-up

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

so i am going to be setting up my 40B for, well, breeding ghost shrimp. i can get 100 for 77.99 with shipping included. They are .43 each and 34.99 for overnight shipping.

for equipment ill be using:
a tetra 60 to power two dual sponge filters
a 125w ehiem jager heater
spectrastone substrate (20lbs) (has anyone ever used this?)
driftwood (for algae and buffering)
and lighting im not sure on just yet, in gona use something thats good for algae growth.

the only issue im going to have setting it up, is convincing the landlord. she's a real nice lady (being my mom and all), but APPARENTLY water cost alot. and shes not all that comfortable with 70gallons of water on the 3rd floor. directly on the main support beam of the house. i dont see a problem with it. its already holding up the WHOLE house. whats another 800-900lbs? not much more than 6 to 7 people?

ANYWAY, thoughts suggestions?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: new Ghost Shrimp set-up

Post by Mustafa »

Sounds all good to me. Let's see some pictures! As for structural support, it should say in the original blueprints how much each floor can support. Maybe that will convince your mother. :)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

:) itll be a little bit until i have it all together. but i will be posting some updates as it all falls into place.

ill be using 40lbs of the spectrastone substrate instead of the previous 20. and ill be getting a RO unit and shrimp minerals also. i expect to have it all by the new year. the only thing thats killing me is the price of water. im gona have to setup a rainwater collection system. any thing i should be worried about with rainwater?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jonesinfershrimp wrote::) itll be a little bit until i have it all together. but i will be posting some updates as it all falls into place.

ill be using 40lbs of the spectrastone substrate instead of the previous 20. and ill be getting a RO unit and shrimp minerals also. i expect to have it all by the new year. the only thing thats killing me is the price of water. im gona have to setup a rainwater collection system. any thing i should be worried about with rainwater?
Rainwater should be fine, but make sure there is something in the tank that buffers the pH (i.e. limestone). Also, don't collect rainwater from roofs that aren't clay tiles. The material they use for those thin roof plates that most people have releases toxic stuff. Maybe ok for garden plants..not ok for an aquarium.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

im drawing up some plans to make a collector out of some plastic wavy stuff, plastic gutters, and a couple of the 55g blue food grade barrels.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sounds good! :)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

lol, im gona have to find a dual purpose for the rain collectors though, they take up a ton of space in the yard. maybe i can use them to hide the pond filter barrels next year when i build it (if my plan doesnt get derailed)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

ghost shrimp are not happening. they ate one of my guppies the other day... r.i.p. chowder :evil:

so instead, the 40 breeder, will be a super shrimp tank.i have the salt. all i need now is the substrate and lavarocks
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Did they eat your guppy when alive and healthy or did they eat a sick or dead guppy. I could be very wrong but I do not think ghost shrimp are aggressive feeders. Mostly scavengers. Either way sorry to hear you lost a fish friend.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

he was healthy, i wanted to separate him from the tetras because they were nipping his fins a little. i didnt think that ghost shrimps were aggressive either. i was/still am in utter shock. i would classify them as semi-aggressive in large numbers.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

update on the ghost shrimps

:smt013 :-x i put a single mosquito fish into the tank for 2 weeks while i quickly cycled another 10gal for 3 of them with a seeded sponge filter, and the one fish ate and or killed 20 shrimp in 2 weeks. i have 1 left, 21 when the fish went in. so i think im going to move the last shrimp to the 72BF display with guppies and ghost shrimp. itll be happier.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out too well, but your idea for a ghost shrimp tank inspired me to start my own. I've been surprised at how well they have done compared to the "fancier" freshwater shrimp I've kept. Two of my initial ten died but the others thrived and a few began carrying eggs within a few weeks. And just a bit ago today I spotted my first baby! Its surprisingly large for what I presume is a newborn, and hopefully its size and speed will keep it from becoming prey to the adults.

When kept on their own (aside from snails and copepods) and on a dark substrate they have proven to be quite bold and surprisingly colorful shrimp. They're all to some degree transparent but they've developed color variations you would never expect if you simply looked at them in a pet store. One is a metallic bronze, while another has what looks like a white center to a transparent shell.

Set up is a 20 gallon long with a sponge filter.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

How about a picture of that baby and the adults. It was my understanding that they are difficult to breed.

Ken
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Indeed, it seems likely if I succeeded breeding it was clearly by luck/accident judging by the info on the net about the babies needing special food (and indeed the fact I've only seen one baby means that even that one may not survive).

I couldn't find the baby when I tried to take pictures, and judging by how poorly they turned out it is just as well. But here is the bronze ghost shrimp and a shot of the tank.
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Very nice tank. Keep us posted.

Ken