New tank set up

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New tank set up

Post by JennyPenny »

It's not showing up in the pictures very well, but there is algae growing, I swear! :-D
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

In the past week, ammonia went to 2.0, then dropped to 1.0, and is now at 0.5. Nitrates and nitrites are still all at 0. There is algae growth in the tank and a film of algae on the surface.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

The algae is likely absorbing some ammonia, but you can expect to get a slight nitrate reading by the time the ammonia reading gets to zero. I suspect the cycle is starting since your ammonia is going down, its just that the nitrites and nitrates aren't high enough yet to register.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that once ammonia is at 0 I can add the shrimp. If so, maybe I can order later this week.
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

JennyPenny wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that once ammonia is at 0 I can add the shrimp. If so, maybe I can order later this week.
once ammonia is zero you need to make sure your Nitrites are zero too.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Tank is cycled and shrimp have been added! They seem happy enough and there is so much algae they almost never move at all. I noticed that I have copepods so I guess the tank is doing well.
Some shrimps are a very bright red (one was even bright red when they arrived and it is one of the darkest ones) but most are nearly clear or pale pink/gray. One is pinkish with a clear band around it's tummy.
I don't think I will ever feed this tank as algae is abundant and removing the lid for a few days causes it to grow an almost unbelievable amount. I've very glad that I waited to order them and hopefully it will pay off with shrimplets sometime down the road. I get many compliments on this tank and hope to provide shrimps to friends and family down the road!
IMG_20160211_211111.jpg
IMG_20160210_164805.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Congrats! A number of the shrimp should get darker in color over time as they settle in (some will naturally remain pale).
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Varanus, you were right and some of the shrimp are getting darker, although it seems like about half are still pale.
Tonight I noticed a baby snail. It's about 2 mm long. I'm very excited that this tank is doing well enough to support new life.
ETA: I have seen 5 molts in the past week, so I think that's another good sign that they are doing well.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JennyPenny wrote: I didn't know that. I actually thought breeders kept their tanks relatively free of decorations.
HI Jenny! A belated welcome to the Forum! :smt006 My breeding tanks have no decoration at all. For that matter they don't even have hiding spaces. Breeding is not affected by any of that. Decoration is mostly for the human(s). :-D
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Thanks Mustafa! No breeding yet but I'm sure it will happen. I haven't feed them ever and they seem to be thriving! I love this method; it makes it for an easy and enjoyable tank!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JennyPenny wrote:Thanks Mustafa! No breeding yet but I'm sure it will happen. I haven't feed them ever and they seem to be thriving! I love this method; it makes it for an easy and enjoyable tank!

Yep! And it's so hard to believe apparently that many people refuse to believe it. I hope people get convinced more as even more experience reports become available.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Last night I noticed I have my first berried shrimp! It looks like she has 8-10 eggs. I'll try to get a picture.
NancyM
Larva
Larva

Post by NancyM »

That is fantastic! I'll bet you are so excited, I sure would be.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I'm very excited, although she has been dropping eggs. She started yesterday with 7, and ended with 6. Now I think she only has 3 left.
Since it's normal for new moms to drop eggs, I imagine she will probably lose the rest. But hopefully next time she will be ready!
NancyM
Larva
Larva

Post by NancyM »

It's a learning experience, even for them :)