im so excited!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

im so excited!

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

finally got the 40B full. RO water and Instant Ocean Sea Salt (2 boxes for 10 gallons each) - that means in about 2 months i can order my shrimp!!! yay! :-D :-D :-D :smt007 :smt007 which gives me enough time to save the money for them, and order my macroalgae in one month.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: im so excited!

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice. Just add a few pictures as the tank matures.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

i got a couple here for the beginning. im going to have to repurpose some lights and plants from another tank, but way worth it.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

temp is on the low side as its winter. the house is at 68, so 66 isnt bad for 40gal no heater. i do have a pup in for circulation to cycle the tank. but im going to remove it before i put the shrimp in. i want the algae to grow evenly around the tank. im going to add one tetra food pellet once a week for the first 4 weeks and then nothing until the shrimp at ~8 weeks. comments on the hardscape? questions about how i plan to cycle? let me know!

thanks! ~~~steve :smt006 :smt006
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

jonesinfershrimp wrote:temp is on the low side as its winter. the house is at 68, so 66 isnt bad for 40gal no heater. i do have a pup in for circulation to cycle the tank. but im going to remove it before i put the shrimp in. i want the algae to grow evenly around the tank. im going to add one tetra food pellet once a week for the first 4 weeks and then nothing until the shrimp at ~8 weeks. comments on the hardscape? questions about how i plan to cycle? let me know!

thanks! ~~~steve :smt006 :smt006
Seems like there is a lot of unused space in the tank, maybe get some taller things for the shrimp to climb on? Whatever looks best to you, but the shrimp make use of every available surface to clamber about on and scrub for food in my tank.

I personally don't see the need to wait so long to order snails and algae. I got mine soon after setting up and didn't have any deaths (the trumpet snails are hard to kill even if you are trying to kill them). Plus their presence will speed up the cycling.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

ya, im thinking im going to find some taller decorations/larger rocks. im not gona say its hard to fill a 40B with decorations but i want to keep it natural and its a lot of space. lol. temp is up to 68.5 today. maybe ill order the algae and some snails then. thanks for the input Varanus :)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

snails and algae ordered. i cant believe this is actually happening :D im so excited!
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Mech »

looks great! you can get some nice fan coral which makes up some height while looking nice!
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Thanks Mech! Great idea! i didnt see anything i liked at the store today. maybe tomorrow ill go to the other one a bit farther away. i know they have fan corals. a shelf of real dead ones and i think a couple plastic ones. if it comes down to it i can always just buy some tall plants to put in the background. itll lose the semi natural feel it has but itll be worth it for them to be happy.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

its been a while, but im still super excited! i had the 40B up and cycling for a monthish, and had my snails and algae on order. i couldnt wait till they arrived!

well they arrived. while i am on vacation. which was my biggest fear about leaving!! anywho, my mom found the package at the door and told me i had something. so i got her to send me a picture, because i was curious. "i didnt order anything too recently" i thought. and when i read the return address i didnt know what to think! stoked and anxious to get home (good thing the gf has xanax lmao!!) so i video chatted her and walked her through opening the box and getting the snails and algae in the tank. i wont be getting home till 2/9 or 2/10 weather depending (im in SC and live in MA, but i see some inclimate weather heading our way). so now im barely sleeping or thinking about anything but my snails on this stupid (forced) vacation. im thinking it wont be too long now before i order my shrimp.

what would be a good starting number for a 40B with 15 snails and some algae? im thinking somewhere between 30 and 50. would that cause an ammonia spike/mini cycle to happen with that many shrimp at once? i also have to order a light for the tank now too. found some good, cheap, waterproof flood light led's (seems weird to say or read, right?) that you have to install a plug on, but thats nothing. easy. pics and full update when i get home. :: :smt006 ::
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I see Mech recommended a fan coral, which is some great advice. My shrimp LOVE my fan coral. And it is very becoming in the tank.
I think 30-40 shrimp would be fine for a tank your size, especially if you wait awhile after your snails and algae arrive.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jonesinfershrimp wrote: what would be a good starting number for a 40B with 15 snails and some algae? im thinking somewhere between 30 and 50. would that cause an ammonia spike/mini cycle to happen with that many shrimp at once? i also have to order a light for the tank now too. found some good, cheap, waterproof flood light led's (seems weird to say or read, right?) that you have to install a plug on, but thats nothing. easy. pics and full update when i get home. :: :smt006 ::
30 to 50 shrimp in a 40 gallon tank isn't going to be a problem at all. They won't cause an ammonia spike or mini-cycle.
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

:O :O :O WOW!!! observing the snails in the 40B today, and BAM!!!! a small Opae come swimming out from the rockwork! i must have gotten a hitchhiker or the conditions are so perfect they are randomly spawning! OMG IM SO EXCITED!!! its a nice deep red color and very active. i had just turned off the 50gph circulation pump (just over 1/hr turnover) and it came out! now that i know its in there and "happy as a clam" i wont turn it back on.
NancyM
Larva
Larva

Post by NancyM »

Instant Opae ula. You are one lucky person! :lol: