Can they be acclimated to fresh water?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Can they be acclimated to fresh water?

Post by mighty mite »

Has anyone tried this?
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Can they be acclimated to fresh water?

Post by JennyPenny »

I don't think these shrimp can survive in freshwater. They require marine salt to live and can adapt to a pretty wide range of brackish salinities.
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

Well, it would be nice if they could be acclimated to fresh water, it would make them a lot easier to keep with other shrimp.

I have done fine with keeping red cherry shrimp with up to brackish levels of salt so I won't be surprised if it's possible. But in general shrimp are kind of finnicky. With fish it can lead to fungus problems to keep brackish in fresh water but it's doable.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Mr mite. I believe it is possible for them to survive in fresh water but thrive i am not sure. I would say no. Why would you? There are so many fresh water shrimp available and red at that. This shrimp fills a niche, the perfect desk top pet.
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

It's nice to have shrimp in freshwater because then they can be in among communities of very small fish and freshwater plants. There's other shrimp but variety is always nice.

Maybe I will give it a try some day.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

You realize fish and shrimp dont mix.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

KenCotigirl wrote:You realize fish and shrimp dont mix.
Everyone knows steak is better with shrimp! :lol:
mighty mite
Egg
Egg

Post by mighty mite »

KenCotigirl wrote:You realize fish and shrimp dont mix.
Uh...sure they do, it just depends what you have. My danios are scared to death of my shrimp (some of whom love to jump on them as they swim by) and my halfbeaks don't ever go more than halfway towards the bottom of the tank. I would not put them in a tank with cichlids or barbs though.

I haven't tried volcano shrimp yet, but my main concern is if they are really so much more delicate in water requirements than other shrimp of if they can be kept more like other shrimp. In many ways a big tank with fish in it is is easier because it does not lose its cycle.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Mm there are three basic tanks. Fish, shrimp and planted.

Fish tanks have as the focal point, fish. Some plants often fake and other decorations are added that enhance the fish. Fish reproduction is not primary. Community fish tank. Snail added for algae clean up.

Shrimp tanks have moss or some slow growing plants with decorations that enhance the shrimp. Reproduction is primary as the shrimp have a short life span, usually 18 months. You buy 10 shrimp and a year later you could have a couple hundred in various stages of life. A snail is often added for algae cleanup.

Planted tanks are plant based. Low or high tech the plants are the attraction. No snails are wanted as they often eat the the plants.

Can you have a combo of course. You need to accept conditions. If you want a fish tank with shrimp that reproduce you need plenty of plants and hiding places for the baby shrimp. A 4 mm long baby shrimp is a tasty morsel. Now instead of an open fish tank you will have a much more closed tank. The more open less shrimp. The more closed more shrimp will survive but you cannot enjoy the fish as much. Also in a fish/shrimp tank the shrimp often stay hidden as opposed being out in plain sight.

I am sure you are aware of this but it needed to be said. Experiment all you like. Add pictures and keep us all updated. At 12 mm adult size and 3 mm floating larvae I don't recommend adding the opae ula shrimp nor acclimating them to fresh water. Buy fresh water shrimp. There are reds, yellow, orange, blue, black, green, striped. The list goes on.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I tried this once and the shrimp showed signs of major distress when the water become completely fresh. I didn't wait for them to die and transferred them back to brackish water. They can deal with very low salinities but they don't seem to have evolved to live in freshwater permanently. I would simply get freshwater shrimp. And Ken is right..if you want a healthily reproducing shrimp population you don't want most fish species as tank mates. There are some extremely tiny fish with unusual diets out there that seem to live shrimp babies alone for the most part but they are not commonly available (plus...it would be better to discuss that in the "general shrimp forum" anyway).