Breeding Alpha Opae Ula (Metabetaeus lohena) - First Pregnancy!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Breeding Alpha Opae Ula (Metabetaeus lohena) - First Pregnancy!

Post by Super Jess »

NancyM wrote:Those pictures are awesome. I really need something besides my phone to take pics with.
Seconded! Really great pics. Those alphas look like monsters next to the others! :D :D
junwei38
Egg
Egg

Post by junwei38 »

Thanks for the comments! I am actually using a handphone to take the pictures. You would be surprised how well handphones can take pictures these days, especially close up macro shots. I am using a samsung galaxy note 5. To be honest the pictures can actually be better if the alpha wasnt always running around. I had to decrease the shutter speed and increase the ISO to take a decent picture of the alphas. Focus also had to be fixed, as the camera couldn't keep up with the running alpha and by the time it came to focus, the alpha had already moved away.

Out of 30 plus shots, maybe only 2-3 are usable and in focus. I am encouraged by your comments and will try to take more close ups of the eggs! (if only the shrimp stays still heheh).

PS. I did a video of my berried bloody mary shrimp using the same phone before... linked here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p145VdWS6Oc I will see if i can do a similar video for the Alphas! Another example of a closeup picture I am trying to achieve is the one I took of my Wine Red Shrimp using the same phone. Notice how the details of the fur on the legs can be seen. :)

junwei38
Egg
Egg

Post by junwei38 »

Spotted another berried Alpha today!

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Junwei! Thanks for sharing your experiences with M. lohena! We really have to come up with a more appropriate "common" name for these shrimp as "Opae Ula" is exclusively used for H. rubra and saying "Alpha Opae Ula" just confuses the matter. Maybe we can all brainstorm. :)

In any case..Ken..thanks so much for the info that M. lohena has been found in French Polynesia...I actually found the paper and am reading it right now. :)

Junwei..these shrimp berry very easily. They don't need to be kept with opa ula...they feed greedily on pretty much anything. Pieces of algae, pellets, flakes. I've never seen them go after my Supershrimp (when I had the M. lohena). The eggs are "intermediate" size which suggests that the larvae shouldn't be floating around for two long. I'm guessing only 2-4 weeks. Technically, either the green water or "fry food" approach should work...but saltwater rotifers may be another option. The problem isn't just food size and quality, but having an established, balanced tank. And then keeping it balanced even with all the feeding. Keep us up to date with your progress. I may try soon also...these are very interesting shrimp but unfortunately not as "care free" when it comes to breeding as the Supershrimp.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Awesome post! I've been interested in this species but enough info about them online. Keep it going! :D