Brine Shrimp hatching in the Supershrimp tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Brine Shrimp hatching in the Supershrimp tank?

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

i have read many write-ups about hatching brine shrimp. they all said you have to have the water movement with aeration. i dont want to take the 2L of water out of the 40B (not that it would cause any issues for the Opae's) to make the hatching setup. could i make the hatching setup and suction cup the 2L inside the tank?
like this?
like this?
or would that not work? would it be possible to just add some eggs to the tank or would the shrimp eat them? from what i understand the brine shrimps come from the great salt lake anyway, which to my understanding has a low DO level as it is. but, my understanding of things is also based on lmited knowledge of the whole topic as-is. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Brine Shrimp hatching in the Supershrimp tank?

Post by Mustafa »

They will hatch (i've done it with just a few eggs) but the salinity is too low in the long run and with not enough food they just die off if you leave them there. Plus...I wouldn't put tons of brine shrimp eggs in the tank as that increases the bioload.
Aloha919
Larva
Larva

Post by Aloha919 »

My brine babies last a week or so. I see them swimming around, and then in a few days POOF they are gone :shock:
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aquarimax »

I know this is an old thread, but eight or nine years ago (before I started following the Mustafa method) I had a few leftover newly hatched brine shrimp after feeding some betta fry. Not many...maybe 30 or so. I poured them into the Opae Ula tank, thinking they would probably not survive long whatever I did, and that they would then provide a snack for the Opae. They ended up growing and thriving! Not only did they reach adulthood, but they reproduced for a couple of generations. At that point, they died off. I think I had been overfeeding the Opae Ula a bit, and the brine shrimp were eating suspended particles in the water. Once they had exhausted those particles there was no food left. I think in most correctly kept Opae Ula aquaria, brine shrimp would starve pretty quickly,
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Very interesting! That makes me appreciate how little we need to do for opae ula. :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Aquarimax wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm I know this is an old thread, but eight or nine years ago (before I started following the Mustafa method) I had a few leftover newly hatched brine shrimp after feeding some betta fry. Not many...maybe 30 or so. I poured them into the Opae Ula tank, thinking they would probably not survive long whatever I did, and that they would then provide a snack for the Opae. They ended up growing and thriving! Not only did they reach adulthood, but they reproduced for a couple of generations. At that point, they died off. I think I had been overfeeding the Opae Ula a bit, and the brine shrimp were eating suspended particles in the water. Once they had exhausted those particles there was no food left. I think in most correctly kept Opae Ula aquaria, brine shrimp would starve pretty quickly,
Do you remember what your salinity was back then?
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aquarimax »

Perhaps surprisingly, it was fairly low...at that time I usually used 1 part full-strength seawater to 7 or 8 parts freshwater in my Opae-Ula tanks.
I have kept and raised brine shrimp in relatively low salinity before.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Interesting! So your brine shrimp cultures were self-reproducing, or did they kinda die out after turning into adults? Did you get any Supershrimp offspring?
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aquarimax »

The brine shrimp reproduced for 2 or 3 generations, and then died out. My first Supershrimp offspring appeared about 13 years ago...and I am happy to say that they have produced hundreds of little shrimp since. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Aquarimax wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm My first Supershrimp offspring appeared about 13 years ago...and I am happy to say that they have produced hundreds of little shrimp since. :D
I meant: "Did they reproduce at 1/8 or 1/9th the salinity of seawater." :) I have never tried to breed them at such low salinity.
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aquarimax »

Ah, I see now. Sorry about that! Yes, they did breed at that low salinity, though they breed for me much more regularly at your recommendation of 1/2 marine salinity.
Until I had to move my 10 gallon home from work, there
were nearly always a number of berried females and at least a couple of dozen larvae floating whenever I looked.
They’ve been slower since I moved them, but I am sure they’ll be back to normal soon.
Last edited by Aquarimax on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

No problem! :) Thanks for the additional info!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I hatch my brine shrimp in an old lunch meat container with an inch or less of water in it and no aeration. I always get hundreds of them and they last about a week. I also use plain Kosher salt. There is no need for those fancy hatcheries.